BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting everyone,
i'm a new member and look forward to a great spring and summer season.
i'm about to start my season in 2 weeks and wanted to know what you all might have to say on the above topic. i am boating out of Oyster creek and barnaget light, Should i anchor in the creek and use clams and drift with eels or is early season the time to troll the umbrellas.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
You are gonna whant to use clams first and also drifting bloodworms work well also,
you want to hit the "flats" on the outgoing as the water is warmer then an incoming tide.
good luck

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Deanald welcome to the BassBarn. Dang you got some first class advice there by Capt. Kobey so use it well my friend and be sure to let us know how you make it, good luck!

[ 03-21-2005, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: RodFather ]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yo Deanald,

When's that beuaty going in the water? I guess that weekend. email me. glad your FINALLY aboard.

JJ

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome!

I would anchor near the mouth and fish clams right now. But as it warms and the bait moves in you may want to focus more towards bunker or herring instead. Right now the cows are looking to spawn in fresh water so you know they are giong to poke their noses anywhere there is salt/fresh water meeting. They slammed the weakies there last year on sheddar crab. Watch Scotts Bait & Tackle reports, http://www.scottsbt.com/fishing/report.htm

Also, stripertracker.org, http://www.stripertracker.org/, covers your neck of the woods so you can watch their maps. It's a very good tool for understanding movement patterns and periods of activity. After reading all the data you soon see that stripers are most active at night, 11pm-5am.

If you troll the umbrella and need shads then look into Mann's Mannhaden soft bodies, they are *really* nice.

·
Registered
31,498 Posts
Trolling in the early season can be very spotty. Fish are generally scattered and on the move. Clams in the back is the best bet. Bucktails are also very good if you know the area well and stay out of traffic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.