BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes clams for drum. i am not that dumb. my question is does it matter what type.larger the better. are they picky. is there a specific one or can i buy any clam such as a large bag from a clam bar for 10.00. i know chunking is an expert on this topic do to his striper knowledge but are the drum as finickie as stripers.

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
PFR--GO VISIT FAT FRED AND WATCH HIS HOW TO DRUM SHOW.BRING HIM A DANISH.
I CANT INSULT HIM. I HAVE NOT MET HIM IN PERSON YET.ALTHOUGH SEEING YOUR NAME AND SOME OF YOUR POST IS THERE A COMMON FACTOR?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I don't know about drum but Stripers prefer surf clams at least 10 to 1 over hard bay clams if you are fishing in the smae spot. When the surf clams run out because the weather keeps the boats in I can always get hard chowders from the clammers at my dock, but I don't even bother any more because I won't sell what doesn't work.

As to drum it might be a different story, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Phish,
Don't bother using chowder clams for drum.
Since I clam, I have tried being cheap and using the clams I get for bait. It is not the same.

I am not much of a drum expert, but the only drum fish I have caught have been on surf clams.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i have only used surf clams. i have however heard stories of guys using mussels as well to spice it up, i dont know how they really did,but anything is possible.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I fish for drum using surf clams. I know of other guys who have caught them on other types of clams but most of us charter boats use the surf clams. Also check your clams for freshness. A fresh clam should will have its shell closed or open a bit, but contracts when the fleshy part is touched. The meat of the fish should have some yellow to it and not be white or have a rancid smell. Drum do feed on mussels although they are too small to use for baits. One day in June we caught 3 drum on squid strips while drifting for flounder. They have also been caught as an incidental catch on bunker chunks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.