BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first spring fishing the D bay...I hear about both clams and bunker but mostly bunker...Dont hear much about eels and herring...whats your favorites and why?

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
cancerbeater said:
My first spring fishing the D bay...I hear about both clams and bunker but mostly bunker...Dont hear much about eels and herring...whats your favorites and why?
early spring-poppers
as water temps climb then i switch to live bait(more bunker than clams,not to say they wont work.I bring both baits with .)Chumslicks are put out also.Using clams will give you a chance to land drumfish.Far as eels and hearring it wont hurt to have them in the water .But bunker or clams is a sure thing;)

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Ask 100 stripers what they prefer, bunker, herring, clam or eels, and you'll get four different answers. One thing they will all agree on, it much better when it's fresh.:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems that Clams are more popular on the east side of the state...But the people in the Big D swear by Bunker...why

·
Registered
19,548 Posts
Early in the spring when things are just starting in the Del bay, use fresh surf clam. As the spring season progressess in the DB bunker does the job on the last of the migrating fish, but bunker fishing is not my priority in spring unless its alive, same as herring. Chunking bunker in the spring is not the game, at least for me.

In the fall, fresh bunker chunks is all ya need.

Plus a fishfinder rig, some flouro leader and a sharp hook.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
At the seminars in AC they made a lot of sense when they said in the early part of the season clams are preferred bacause soft baits are easier to digest.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
always get way better numbers on clams:cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
depends what they are feeding on that the present time ive limited out on bunker in D Bay and then not a bite the next day on bunker just on clam and then sometimes they bite on both. keep them both in your ice box for use. Sometimes id take clam over bunker because it does keep those nasty blues at bay and gives the bass a chance to get the pair when their around.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
water temp.

as the water warms the fish become more active and will start to pursue the bunker. Clam gobs are an easy meal when the water is cold and the fish are more lethargic

·
Registered
718 Posts
clams

id have to say fresh surf clams in the spring and fresh bunker in the fall. While using clams in the spring you have a chance of landing some drum as well.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Clams seem to put out a scent that will attract the doggies. If you stick with bunker u will not have that problem, and remember chumming brings the dogs as well.

·
Registered
942 Posts
In late March through much of April clams seem to work best in the mid to lower bay. Big, live, fresh clams always work best. Latter part of April through May fresh bunker chunks have always done well for me. If you can obtain some fresh herring and you fish above Fortesque, that really works great, as the herring usually are in the Delaware River March/April. As always, the best bait to use is what is swimming in front of the striper at a given time or season. I;m only scratching the surface (no pun intended) on this subject, and I am sure many more anglers will add their own ideas. Good luck! Ken

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
cancerbeater said:
It seems that Clams are more popular on the east side of the state...But the people in the Big D swear by Bunker...why

What bait is more popular on the WEST side of the state? arent we all fishing the east side?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Depends when and where you fish in the Bay.

Bloods early with clam in the mix up the Bay and Herring if available.
More clams the further south you go.

FRESH BUNKER, later in the Spring throughout the end of the season in the late fall/early winter- most anywhere in the Bay if you are targeting bass.

Fresh surf turkeys for drum in the spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
clams or bunker

bait depends on water temps. when temps are below 50 deg. soft baits such as clams or blood worms work best. stripers digestive systems work slower. they need softer foods. when temperatures climb into lower to mid 50s. bunker is the bait of choice

1 - 20 of 21 Posts