BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PO of my new to me boat decided it was a good idea to store the funnel that he used to fill the 2 cycle oil res in the bilge. Now a lot of the bilge has caked on old oil on it. I'd like to get it off but it's been a *****. So far I've used reg bilge cleaner, the name escapes me at the moment, and Spray Nine. The combo has been working but it's a bit slow for my taste. I was wondering if anyone has a better idea?

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Dawn dish soap. Leave the plug in, fill it up with some water, scrub a bit and pull the plug while hosing.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Starbrite bilge cleaner...works great, I have a old boat with dirty nasty engines...tried the citrus stuff from west marine worthless

and nice plastic bristle brush

·
Registered
130 Posts
Purple Power mixed with Dawn dish soap. Let it set for a wile then hit it with a scrub brush. The grease comes off in sheets! This is the method I use when cleaning engine rooms before we paint them with Awl Grip and install new diesels. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The purple deagreaser. Sold in gallons at the big box home store. Just make sure you wear good ruber clves as the purple stuff will kill some layers of skin. Dilute also and spray it on and let sit spray again and scrub. It works great.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into them.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
I mix simple green with water in a bucket. Dump it in bilge and leave it there. Sloshes around all season and keeps it clean and smells good. Bio degradable when the bilge pump kicks on.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Fyi practical sailor did a environmental review of most boat cleaners.

The WORST was simply green. Go with dawn, cuts grease well.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
On a dawn side bar....I once had a fuel tank rust out on top mid season. Fumes were really bad. I took a large dawn container and emptied it into the tank, then took a hose and added a lit of fresh water. Fumes disappeared!!

Go Dawn!!!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
For oil and residue get the purple stuff in gallon ZEP brand ant the blue big box home store. Use water to dilute and wear gloves. It will eat up the oil but can peel paint rinse well.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Fyi practical sailor did a environmental review of most boat cleaners.

The WORST was simply green. Go with dawn, cuts grease well.
Simple Green being the worst when it comes to the environment, or worst when it comes to cleaning?

Asking because I use it, trying to do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right now my boat is sitting on my grass so anything too caustic is off the table, at least until I sell my other boat. I'm going to try a few of the suggestions from here. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
if you are worried about caustic remember what you are cleaning. A dirty bilge. Cant get much worse than that. Soap is nothing compared to oil.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you are worried about caustic remember what you are cleaning. A dirty bilge. Cant get much worse than that. Soap is nothing compared to oil.
You got me there. I think I'll move the boat off the grass first.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Simple Green being the worst when it comes to the environment, or worst when it comes to cleaning?

Asking because I use it, trying to do the right thing.

Cleaning capabilities........Poor
Environmental impact......Worst of all tested

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.