BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Lets keep our fingers crossed Capt Ed.... We are due for a good year after the last couple washouts.

When are you going to start trying for them on the Flats :confused:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan to start looking in about two weeks, unless we get a real warm-up before then. Some minor boat maintenance issues to take care of for spring decommissioning first. I'd expect some big cows to show up sometime late in March. Won't be long now!

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
My buddy and I are gonna give the flats a try, where is a good place to dunk a boat? And what kind of bait do they use in the early going?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Water temp on the flats is 39 degrees. Needs to warm up around 45 for things to start turning on.
The most common lure to throw is a 5" or 7" Bass Assassin w/ 1/2 oz jig head. The bait boys will use live herring with a circle hook, purchased at Herbs Tackle in North east Maryland.

There are ramps at Anchor Marina, North east MD and Elk Neck State Park.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Edge, where are you in Delaware? Ramp I use might be useful to you, depending on your location. Shoot me an email.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Theres also a nice ramp in Havre de Grace, Tydings Park - launch fee $5.

Live herring, fresh chunked herring and bloodworms. Any type of soft plastic with good water clarity and water temps closer to 50 degrees will work.

Be careful, low tide some areas are 1 foot or less :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts