BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few days we have be hanging around 42 to 44 degrees at the dock. Drop net has been down and a decent amount of grass shrimp every time I pull it up. Yesterday water was at 48 and three times I pulled the net there was about a half pint of shrimp each time. Also more minnows than before. All small minnows but still minnows.

The back bay table is set and the number one reason that back bays are so hot in the spring is because of the food situation. Pretty soon we will find the grass shrimp starting to load up with eggs for the first season hatch. One of the neatest things to see is when the eggs hatch. The eggs grow darker and larger and fill the underneath of the shrimps body. She will start swimming then when the time is right she will snap her body back and forth a few times and suddenly her shell or hard outer covering will split and she will molt. As this happens the eggs break free and slowly start to settle towards the bottom. Her old outer skin just floats away and as the eggs fall they suddenly pop open and thousands of very tiny baby shrimp start swimming around. Picture this happening with millions or billions of shrimp around the same time.

I believe the grass shrimp are the main food source for the entire system. The seem to be everywhere and we find more of them than anything else in the fish we catch. Whe we have minnow shortages like last year many of us start to worry if there is enough food to hold the game fish. It's not the minnows that feed the system it's the grass shrimp. Looking in my drop net the system looks primed and ready.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Nice post, its ready to bust open for sure. Once the bass start feeding it should be pretty good. I am in a little bit of a pickle though, I cant decide what really drives the back. The grass shrimp or the lowly spearing, both are around year round and both are staples of every fishes diet.

RyanF

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Saw that temp hit 50 today...a great thing...I predict a 46 degree day tomorrow:)....but it's still above 40 and that is a great sign...

I can't wait to get back from Ft myers and get a bag of bellies...that mako is getting some action when I get back for sure!!!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Nice post chunkng....just recently saw the tape of you catching a nice bss on a spongebob rod....It was playing at my place of employment

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I believe the minnows feed heavily on the Grass Shrimp eggs and larva so there may be a direct relationship between grass shrimp and minnows. when one is up the other might be down and vice versa.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Nice post Chunking!

I know the perch love shrimp!!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My casting arm is twiching!!!!!!

KNOW YOU DID IT:mad: , I'm all excited & can't wait to get out on the water!!!!!!!:D ;) Very good logic. I'll try too get some more Old Ground Rocks(Coral):p . See yah soon. Haig

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
You're quite right Fred,
that's why flounder fishing in the back from Late March to Memorial Day used to be my favoite time of fishing year:( :( :( :mad:

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
RyanF said:
Nice post, its ready to bust open for sure. Once the bass start feeding it should be pretty good. I am in a little bit of a pickle though, I cant decide what really drives the back. The grass shrimp or the lowly spearing, both are around year round and both are staples of every fishes diet.

RyanF
well the spearing need the baby shrimp, right? :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Another great post.

Well you got the juices running again, Fred. I am a little surprized. I didnt realise the grass shrimp stayed around most of the winter. I just assumed that when the water got cold, the shrimp also booked.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jersey Fresh said:
Well you got the juices running again, Fred. I am a little surprized. I didnt realise the grass shrimp stayed around most of the winter. I just assumed that when the water got cold, the shrimp also booked.
People would be amazed at what stays for the winter. Even seahorses. Most don't move around much when the water is cold but some just aren't good swimmers and able to migrate very far. No Gulf Stream to take them south.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
chunking said:
.............Whe we have minnow shortages like last year many of us start to worry if there is enough food to hold the game fish. ............
Any thoughts on what caused that shortage last year?

We were without minnows in Mystic several times last summer.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
JoeyZac said:
Any thoughts on what caused that shortage last year?

We were without minnows in Mystic several times last summer.
There was talk about that at the SSFFF meeting last night. The guys who supplied the shops said there were just as many killies as any other year but they couldnt "pot" them. Darwinism may be calling for a new killie trap??? They would be swarming around the pot but the pot would come up with only a handful???

RyanF

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
RyanF said:
There was talk about that at the SSFFF meeting last night. The guys who supplied the shops said there were just as many killies as any other year but they couldnt "pot" them. Darwinism may be calling for a new killie trap??? They would be swarming around the pot but the pot would come up with only a handful???

RyanF
Really? That's strange.

It seemed to me like there were less killies in my lagoon, but I don't get to see the masses like the trappers do.

Hopefully that does not continue this year. My B&T told me he took a beating because of the shortage, not so much on the sale of the killies, but on "residual sales".

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
JoeyZac said:
Really? That's strange.

It seemed to me like there were less killies in my lagoon, but I don't get to see the masses like the trappers do.

Hopefully that does not continue this year. My B&T told me he took a beating because of the shortage, not so much on the sale of the killies, but on "residual sales".
I would think they would do better selling the other bait and bucktails, but who knows tourists like playing with live minnows. This is only what I heard and from guys that were supplying shops, so there has to be some credibility. I thought I noticed a little less around too, but I may have made judgement based on the talk of a shortage because I never really payed much attention to how many killies were around. They are always just there.

RyanF

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I think the thing that hurt my B&T guy the most was that he was man enough to put a "No Minnows" sign in his door, and that probably caused a lot of people to not stop in.

Had they come in looking for minnows to only find out there were none once inside, MAYBE they would have bought other stuff instead.

Not the end of the world, there are much bigger issues we have to deal with this summer other than "no minnows".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts