BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hope to be slipping my boat (when i get it lol) somewhere in the dbay. looking for the closest port to philly for those quick day trips.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I live in Collingswood ( right over the bridge ). I can get to our marina in 40-50 minutes on the Maurice river . I wouldnt want to be any further up the bay . The fishing choices out of the Maurice are the most varied due to its location . Straight out to the Maul , north to the EP/Fort and south to Bug 20 and 60 . All around 15 minute boat ride . Great Marinas , gas and bait priced right .

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
I live in NE Phila near Bustleton and Byberry-have been keeping my boat at Haases Marina for a few years now and you cannot beat the price.I will also tell you that the owners are awesome as are the other dock mates....also i can make it there in about an hour. If you need any more info you can call me at 267-825-4272 Chet

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I used to be at Longreach, on the Maurice River. It's closer to the entrance to the bay, than any other marina on the river. It was a 6 1/2 mile ride to the E.P. Tower, the entrance area to the bay. I'm now at Bay Point in Cedarville and it's about a 1/2 mile ride to the bay entrance and the slip fee is a lot less. From Philadelphia, you can get on Rt. 55 and get off at Rt. 552 and be 20 minutes away from Bay Point located in Cedarville.

Bay Point is a Bass Barn Advertiser along with many other marinas. So, they're easy to check out.;)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I'm at Holme circle. My buddy slips on the Maurice. First year on the Bay for me. There is a pretty long no wake zone from his slip to the fishing grounds. We fish at the Ep tower also. Its the same distance from Rusty Joes because its so close to the Bay. From the Maurice you have to travel further east to get to fishing grounds where at Joes you are real close to fishing grounds. Its a little more gas money in the car but less gas in the boat. My car gets better gas mileage.:D Baypoint very nice too. Right on the Bay. I chose Rusty Joes because it would be easier to get into slip and I fish solo at times. Both places have top notch people. If my boating skills were better I might be at Baypoint this year but I'm looking forward to being at Rusty Joes. I did a lot of research and if you want I can give you a call if you shoot me an email. Don't want to mention any negatives on line.

Good luck
Tom

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
i hope to be slipping my boat (when i get it lol) somewhere in the dbay. looking for the closest port to philly for those quick day trips.
Closest port to Philly is a poor plan. You want the closest port to great fishing. It is more economical and quicker to drive your car to good fishing than your boat. If you are fishing an hour from your port and a storm appears, it can get nasty returning to port. First find good fishing, then a port.

Rusty Joes would be a good fishing location.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
If somebody is only planning on fishing the dbay. and they plan on fishing for all of the species that the bay offers throughout the year. I like the Maurice river due to its central location in the bay.
brandywine is a long run from rusty joes and ship john is a long run from cape may , he also wanted to be close to 55 that allows for quick access to the river just a few miles after 55 ends, but if you are a late sleeper and want to come down to your boat
late in the morning on a summer Saturday morning than , you will be getting stuck in traffic where 55 ends , If you get there early , that won't be a problem. The river also gives you the river for skiing , tubing , fishing , and just go for a cruise.
Now if you are a late sleeper and you are only going to fish the northern end to the middle of the bay, than rusty joes is really nice , with good bait, and easy access to the bay, bay point is a nice marina with easy access to the bay. Sundog marina is very protected due to it is a few miles up the creek, there is a very nice little restaurant there that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. than there is the fort, If you can get in there. Higbees marina has been there for ever, and they have a very good little restaurant, if there is a downside to there restaurant is there is no air conditioning and it is small, the food is very good , but fortes cue is a little summer home getaway and higbee's is the only game in town. But all of these places allow you to get off of 55 before you were to get stuck in traffic. and you would get to enjoy the sights in Millville on your way to the boat.

Here is a fun idea for you lets say it is blowing 15 from the nw and the tide is coming in , but you want to come down to the boat with your wife , girlfriend , and maybe kids, but the bay is to rough, Take the boat head up the Maurice river maybe stop for some fishing April and may offer some very good striper fishing and perch fishing in the river, plus there are some big catfish, and carp. than there are the birds to see. anyway go all the way up the river roughly and hour ride. go all the way to Millville, Tie up at the new public docks and if this before memorial day go to Jim's lunch and get a burger. or take a walk up high street there are several restaurants , bars and stores. but only walk up high street . one block either way offers nothing to a day visitor.

·
Registered
150 Posts
JIM'S LUNCH IS THE PLACE!!! THATS A NICE RIDE! MAKES THE WIFE AND KIDS HAPPY! PROBALY PAST YOU LAST YEAR! :wave:

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
yeah maybe, I usually dock in cape may , for the ocean, but i always seem to have my boat home at some point and i take it for a river cruise about once a year i would say. last year Rocco was two I was at fowser road , We ran into margaritaville getting ready to run his boat,. I followed him to his leased island were we showed are kids a brand new born batch of gooselings's
Rocco was two and he said Mommy the boat ride was awesome.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am coming out of Delaware and keep the boat on Jersey side of the bay. I would recommend Rusty Joes @ Money Island. Easy to get to and good fishing too.:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.