BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
16,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Ficht Evinrude, about 300 hrs. The engine has been running great. But just at the end of the season, I started having trouble getting into reverse. There is some ratcheting going on getting into reverse and now it seems to be worse. My mechanic says its the clutch dog and hopefully the gears aren't mangled but he won't know until he gets it apart (understandable). What am I looking at in terms of costs and what can i expect if it is just the clutchdog? Please pass on telling me how bad the Ficht engines were made. Mine has all upgrades etc by Buds in OC. and the enging is strong. Thanks, Retainer

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Make sure your shift cable is adjusted right before digging in to the lower unit. I've bought quite a few boats very cheap because the previous owner was told it needed new dogs...only to be fixed by a quick adjustment. There are many shady "mechanics" out there....

If it is the clutch dog it shouldn't be too bad. Call around for prices. The only way your gears would be mangled would be if the dog's broken teeth jammed up the works. I kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There are tons of those in the junk yard, I had one, a 99 225 ficht, Barnicle Bill has my old one. You can probably get what you need on the cheap.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
I don't know if it's permitted to post a link here, and don't know or have an opinion about the reputation of these units. They've been advertising for serveral years in Boat US and other magazines. New equipment and $900 with a three year warranty:

http://www.sterndrive.cc/mm5/merchant.mvc?
They are good units. I've been running one for 3 yrs on my Yam 150..

Clutch dog problems usually come from nursing engines into gear. When you shift any engine do it like you mean it. The dog itself is about 250 bucks. The forward and reverse gear are more each..

Bayrat is right about the adjustment except it won't be the cable. It's going to be in the shift rod adjustment, but I can't see Bud's making that mistake. Each turn of the shift rod is 1/32" and the adjustment is critcal to 1/32".

·
Banned
16,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it. I saw the ads in the Saltwater mag for the new lower units with the 3 yr. warranty, plus it is a fault free warranty. I will make sure my guy checks the adjustment first. My forward gear is fine, so I am hoping it won't be a major deal. Thanks again everyone

·
Banned
16,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I pulled the boat today and she had reverse no problems, maybe just an adjustment needed or wasn't shifting hard like Dunk said. Happy it worked, sad the season is over. It will get evaluated over the winter. Thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
121 Posts
lower unit

I would beleive the shift rod orings in the gearcase are corroded and swelled up.This causes the problems you were stating.When they swell they squeeze the rod and prevent from going into gear properly.when you shift forward the cable pulls this allows motor to go in forward gear when you shift reverse any resistance in the shift rod and play in cable do not let the unit to shift reverse.about 200.00 to 225.00 to repair with a new water pump.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
I would beleive the shift rod orings in the gearcase are corroded and swelled up.This causes the problems you were stating.When they swell they squeeze the rod and prevent from going into gear properly.when you shift forward the cable pulls this allows motor to go in forward gear when you shift reverse any resistance in the shift rod and play in cable do not let the unit to shift reverse.about 200.00 to 225.00 to repair with a new water pump.
I completely agree, but if those oring's are swollen I would also worry about the rest of the seals in the gearcase. Might be time to have the gearcase resealed at the same time. Preventive meds are lots cheaper than chasing a problem.. That will also give you a good look at the propshaft bearing carrier. No reason why that Ficht shouldn't run another 10 yrs.. There's still lots of them out there twisting props.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.