BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a photo thread to share some of our early catches in Panama. Its been a great trip so far, the weather is better than expect - beautiful days, little little rain and enough overcast to improve the bite and keep a bit cooler on the water (water temps are 88 to 85 degrees at the Bank). I will write a full trip report to follow including the tales of our breakages which have been there, but the fish are landing on the deck despite the snapped rods, blown bearings, reels shearing off the reel foot(s).

The fish G-ds have smiled on us again (Dwight made sure to give them a nice cold Corona day #1) and we are really enjoying ourselves in Paradise!

Day 1, Boat 1 (Dan, Dwight, Joe, Wayne)

Here is our big girl from day one, taping out at 75" x 54", this fish was a wicked one. Wayne hooked it up on a 6" Sardine on of course the lightest rod. He fought the fish, then I fought it, then Joe was battling the beast when the reel sheared all 4 bolts off the reel seat and we where in trouble. Joe did a great job on the rod, steading it with the Harness and holding the reel with both hands! Meantime Capt Chi Cho stripped all the mono off a 50 Wide and got down to the hollow, we where somehow able to splice the two lines together and kept the fish tight and under control but the fish was resting for a good amount of time. When we got the lines spliced we where able to gain line but we had used #100 leader and this fish was very strong. In the 88 degree water the Yellowfin do not have to use energy to maintain their ideal body temp and that coupled with tons of fish to eat = a Yellowfin on steroids.

They say every fish is different and both Joe and I agree she was putting more of a fight than any Bluefin in NC every did. We rotated through the guys and eventually got our fish to color. Fearing She would never see the deck I video taped from the time we saw deep color to the time the fish came boat side.

A legit #280 with chest like a 55 gallon drum came over the side

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day #2 Capt Chi Cho Dan, Dwight, Joe, Wayne (inshore Montosa Island)

Day #2 Capt Chi Cho Dan, Dwight, Joe, Wayne (inshore Montosa Island)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.