BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early trip to Cape May reef, 6:30 to 11:30 so as to beat the wind. Four nice seabass on the jigs mostly shorts on bait.
Wife boated the first keeper flounder @18 1/2" and thick. Only flounder bite that trip. Sea bass on every little piece of bottom structure we fished on south end, mostly shorts. Sea star and Miss Chris were close by and maybe four other small boats.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Early trip to Cape May reef, 6:30 to 11:30 so as to beat the wind. Four nice seabass on the jigs mostly shorts on bait.
Wife boated the first keeper flounder @18 1/2" and thick. Only flounder bite that trip. Sea bass on every little piece of bottom structure we fished on south end, mostly shorts. Sea star and Miss Chris were close by and maybe four other small boats.
Thanks for the report

·
Registered
19,707 Posts
Nice. A cool report.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the report. I will probably head out there Monday. I was out there 2 weeks ago and got a few keeper sea bass on bait. Caught a load of keeper weakfish, first blitz I've encountered in a decade. Unfortunately, 1/person, so sent my friend home with the 2 (he has a family). They were hitting in am at the reef under birds to 25ft striking flutter spoon rigs tipped with bloodworm and AVA27s - thought they were bluefish at first. In the afternoon they went deeper - just off the bottom in about 41ft. All about 16 to 20 inches in size - I was shocked. Funny because I just replied to someone's post weeks ago that I have not caught a keeper weakfish in a decade - I guess that brought me some good luck. I also got a really nice tog on the same AVA27 - that was a first too, but back in the water he went. No, he was not snagged...he ate it. Slowed down a lot in the afternoon, so I tried to drift for some fluke - nothin.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thanks for the report. I will probably head out there Monday. I was out there 2 weeks ago and got a few keeper sea bass on bait. Caught a load of keeper weakfish, first blitz I've encountered in a decade. Unfortunately, 1/person, so sent my friend home with the 2 (he has a family). They were hitting in am at the reef under birds to 25ft striking flutter spoon rigs tipped with bloodworm and AVA27s - thought they were bluefish at first. In the afternoon they went deeper - just off the bottom in about 41ft. All about 16 to 20 inches in size - I was shocked. Funny because I just replied to someone's post weeks ago that I have not caught a keeper weakfish in a decade - I guess that brought me some good luck. I also got a really nice tog on the same AVA27 - that was a first too, but back in the water he went. No, he was not snagged...he ate it. Slowed down a lot in the afternoon, so I tried to drift for some fluke - nothin.
Funny you should mention the tog on a metal. I have snagged quite a few in the past, but I CAUGHT 3 on the same day on the seabass opener on a Hopkins and one on the teaser above. Was strange for sure. I noticed that 3/4 were bursting to the seams with eggs. Old timer I had with me that day suggested they were all riled up because of the spawn. Who knows. Always keeps it interesting. Nice report. Have a great season!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts