BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next topic to further my offshore education- coastlock swivel use.

do they spook fish?????

im sure i will hear the most is " maybe, or sometimes". i guess a better question is who feels that eliminating them is worth the effort? i.e. use windons. i guess leader length is another related question. of course there are many situations where you have to use them (spreaders and such). they are not what im talking about.

related issue- several times i have boated a fish (twice a nice tuna), and then looked down only to see the coastlock OPEN!!!!! i have never lost a rig/fish to one opening, but this has happened several times. i triple check them on the way out too!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Tuna have some secret ability to unlock coastlocks for some reason. Even open split rings at times! Wind-ons are the way to go or hollow core if trolling. I have used some heavy duty clips, like the speed clips made for the surf with success, but they are not so speedy when they get bigger and your talking about bars being swapped out. I say stay away from the coast locks if you can. The one thing I have noticed, and it may sound like a sales pitch, but Cape May Tackle's ball bearing swivels are not opened as frequently as other brands. Seems the better the bearing, the less it opens up. :)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I always use the bearring type,I do have guys that cut them off when we fish as they think it makes a different ,I dont think it matters and def. Dont matter trollin

·
Registered
578 Posts
I use 350# coastlocks on lures I pull..but also make my own rigs..I make daisey chains with a 8' leader in front of the bird therefore coastlock is not in the water. Bare hooks for chunking are crimped.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
so you guys are saying that you do not use coastlocks for spreader bars and such? you cut and re-crimp?
On my personal bars, I use a BB swivel, with a crimped loop with a protector, to connect. I also use those quick connect ( paper clip looking) connectors in largest possible sizes. I always have the coast lock opening in the back of my mind.

I know I have the luxury of dragging along a big supply of tackle, ( thats why I am always invited):D but I have seen them open many times too. Look for the different designs. Some are better than others. :)

I would bet they open up on the troll more than the fight. i have seen them open up with no fish.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Next topic to further my offshore education- coastlock swivel use.

do they spook fish?????

im sure i will hear the most is " maybe, or sometimes". i guess a better question is who feels that eliminating them is worth the effort? i.e. use windons. i guess leader length is another related question. of course there are many situations where you have to use them (spreaders and such). they are not what im talking about.

related issue- several times i have boated a fish (twice a nice tuna), and then looked down only to see the coastlock OPEN!!!!! i have never lost a rig/fish to one opening, but this has happened several times. i triple check them on the way out too!
I don't feel they scare fish, but I do think they can hurt your presentation. As such on our flat lines we have eliminated the snap swivel in favor of a barrel swivel crimped directly to our leader. Our leader length is roughly 6 to 8 feet. This makes the end game easier.

For the past few years we have been Using Rite Angler Snap Swivels in either 200 or 400lb. I have yet to see these open up. Be sure to seat the snap once you attach you leader.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
We have had Wahoo and bluefish go for the coast locks and cut us off many times. I still use them but as soon as they get a little shiney we dump them.

·
Registered
924 Posts
coast lock?

I have no problem getting bites and use the biggest size snap swivel there is .not only giant size but stainless too shinney.I have been thinking about switching to the right weight rated snaps but landed fish up 160lb in sj and no failure other than the occasional pulled hook .the snaps are free I have never had one open so would you switch.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
wow, i had been using small barrells and windons... i WAS thinking of just going back to coastlocks. i guess i will stay the course and only put coastlocks on what i have to.

oh yeah, i am using 80# floro on all my (non bluefin) rigs now. is it just me or does the hardness of floro make it strange to crimp? it just doesnt seem to "mash" quite as well. havent had a crimp fail yet, so i guess its ok for now.

thanks for the responses guys!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I have no problem getting bites and use the biggest size snap swivel there is .not only giant size but stainless too shinney.I have been thinking about switching to the right weight rated snaps but landed fish up 160lb in sj and no failure other than the occasional pulled hook .the snaps are free I have never had one open so would you switch.
Any one brand that you are using? I know many of them are all made by the same manufacturer, but maybe we can narrow it down to a few select brand names?? I believe you, I know plenty of guys who have never had this issue.

BTW, I have also had bluefish cut them clean. ( I would like to think they were wahoo, but I dont think I am worthy of a wahoo's interest). :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts