BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Friday night behind OC. Hooked into something that smoked my line LITTERALLy ! It looked brown as it streaked past the boat with my line sizzleing behind it. We were tied off to the bridge so there was no way to chase it. I have fished this area all my life and never had this speed of a fish on before. A good friend of mine that has hooked cobia before said the way it acted and ran it was definately one. This fish zig zagged and just did what it wanted. It looked to be about 31/2 - 4' long. It finnally rapped my line around a pole and snap CYA. This fish not one of those monster rays that have showed up in our area.:eek:

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
They do come inside the inlets especially near where Rays are.2 years ago I go 2 one night on eels about 26-28" .they put a helleva fight on

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Maybe a Brown Shark! Nick Verducci" Fishenough" had one the other day fishing around a bridge on a bucktail and gulp Shrimp.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Rodger, I was fishing near that bridge when I hooked into the brown. It gave me a hell of a fight and it was definately a brown shark. It was 2'-3' in length, and thankfully it snapped my line. Although 8 years ago I saw a lady pull in a 20" cobia off the old rockpile. You never know what you may come across out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
striperaholic said:
Went out Friday night behind OC. Hooked into something that smoked my line LITTERALLy ! It looked brown as it streaked past the boat with my line sizzleing behind it. We were tied off to the bridge so there was no way to chase it. I have fished this area all my life and never had this speed of a fish on before. A good friend of mine that has hooked cobia before said the way it acted and ran it was definately one. This fish zig zagged and just did what it wanted. It looked to be about 31/2 - 4' long. It finnally rapped my line around a pole and snap CYA. This fish not one of those monster rays that have showed up in our area.:eek:
i caught these in florida, sounds like cobia.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most likely a Brown Shark. I have caught a decent number of Cobia up here and never found them to be fast runners. They run hard and bulldog, but not very fast. Brown sharks on the other hand usually have a very quick first run. They can smoke 50-100 yards of line off in now time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Saturday afternoon My buddy had it happen twice near the turn buoy in ge. never saw the fish though.
Striperholic, was that you Sat afternoon headed into kennedy park around 4? I saw you but I wanted to get out of the mayhem around there and head for quieter waters. How did you do?
I got a couple small blues and some monster dogs. not a single fluke. I think I will switch bait as the main course.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Flukin were you out a GE on Sunday morning? I noticed a huge blitz of Blues in the inlet. Just wondering if any bass were mixed in.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
flukin that wasn't me, I put in either at rainbow or tenn ave OC. This fish was kinda narraw to be a shark, all I know it was fast real fast, never saw a fin or tail, just a brown flash it was all over in seconds.:eek:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just watched a guy release a manta in the back bay a few minutes ago. Was surprised to see it. Wouldn't surprise me of there are cobia inside. Seems to me we see a lot of wierd stuff when the water and air temps hit extremes.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
absolutely possible that it was a large cobia, I was just inside Barnegat Inlet drifting the 26 buoy area when my rod started screaming, I thought at first striper, but when I got the fish to the surface it was a brown fish with a single line down the middle. I was using light tackle for fluke and fought the fish for about 25 minutes before it snapped my 10lb test. My father in law said cobia right away, I really didnt know, but after hearing of a few being caught in this area I started to think it was possible. When I first saw the color coming up I was thinking shark or ray, but after the line on the fish I didnt know what the hell it was......never will I guess, but I think it was a cobia, 95% positive

I averaged the fish to be around 15-20lbs, and about 48"s or so

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had 2 fish under my boat at the Sea Isle lump last week not sure what they were but they were big. They looked like BIG carp

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
My dad hooked a large fish near Corsens Sunday morning. He panicked, put his thumb on the line and it snapped. I saw the flash. It could have been a brown. Never thought cobia. Although, there were stripers feedng under the blues on spearring. A few came to the surface and I could see their dorsal. The one that got away.

Sunday right before dark, my dad and I spotted a large cow nosed ray feeding on spearing in very shallow water behing Sea Isle. Very cool.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts