BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I have seen these fish in growing numbers in the area during the summer.
Mainly in two different areas.
My question is how would you get them to bite?

I mainly see them when I am ocean flounder fishing. Either hanging out under a bouy. Or following up a flounder I have hooked on the local reefs. I've tried letting them bite the flounder but it hasnt worked.

Now before people start saying to hook an eel or something fancy after them. That wont help me.
As I said I see them when I am ocean flounder fishing, and bringing eels every time would get exspensive because I dont see the Cobias every trip.
So I usually have squid already in strips and minnows for bait. The tackle box has bucktails and top bottom rigs.
If theres a special rig you would you try I would buy that and try it (rebels, spoons)
Just like when I troll I have a rod already rigged with a bucktail in case dolphin show up. I could have another rod rigged ready to go if a Cobia followed a flounder up. My question is what should I have it rigged with?
I've tried tossing pieces of squid and then a hook with squid on it like chunking but got no reactions.
I've sent out minnows on hooks swimming freely and nothing.
Plain bucktails and rigged bucktails with tails.
With nothing.
Whats worked for others?
Thanks
It been a long winter.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Down here in Florida a Cobia sighting is almost a gimmie every offshore trip

I am no expert but I am lucky enough to fish with two guys who are.

You got to be ready with a free-lined rig. Number 6/0 hook on at least a 60 pound leader. We throw live-lined grunts or pinfish out as a routine once we see them One guy swears by a "Cobia Jig " which is a purple colored bucktailed tipped with squid. Cast in front and reel fast. They claim squid is their favorite. They very commonly behave like dolphin when one of their buddies are on the hook, so leave that first one in the water and try to cast towards the others. We have also seen many times our first Cobia boated on a large cut up grunt on the bottom. So first bait fish to the boat , chunk him and drop the head or body chunk down for sure

With that said many times they just seemed interested but not willing to bite

Good Luck

[ 02-01-2006, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
i remember hearing someone saying when they were being stubborn and couldn't get them to take anything they ended up throwing a white bucktail tipped w/ squid.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
They will hit a bucktail, plug, or metal. We've also had them hang out behind the boat and not hit a thing. If you do entice one to strike, hang on!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
make sure you have quilty tackle there a hard fighting fish and dont boat one green once hit with a gaff thats another fight remember in jersey you are allowed 2 they must be 37".

[ 02-01-2006, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: mastergaffer ]

·
Registered
786 Posts
At times they will not take any bait. In this situation casting a 4 to 6oz jig with rubber tail or large strip will work. You must hit the fish in the head with the bait (or come close to it) to piss it off. It may take a few casts. If the fish sounds it aint gona happen.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
rob this past summer fishing at c.m. reef one swam up to the boat while we were fluke fishing. we took the weights off fluke rigs but couldn't hook up with the minnow/squid. i grabbed my light spin outfit put on a 4" pearl finisse at first ignored it, then i made figure 8's moving it faster right next to the boat. he either wanted it or got annoyed but he hit, great fight and great eating.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
fishing OBX, fished charters that have poles with Spro's and rubber behind them in multiple colors, just sitting there waiting....

It is a fish I need to catch...

sounds like a heck of a fun time squidder...

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
They can be very agressive to just checking out what is going on. Typically we fish for them in the chesapeake and do it on a chum just like striper fishing in the delaware bay. We have had them come right ot the boat and would not touch a chunk but would take a live bait. We typically use spot or small croakers. Last year while shark fishing ~20 miles off virginia we had some come to the boat and wouldn't take anything we tried until we casted a Jig way out into the slick and retrieved it about 800 miles an hour past them and they couldn't chase it fast enough, the action was what stired a strike, the fact that something would dare cross its path in an effort to get away.

[ 02-01-2006, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Mike Hammer ]

·
Registered
981 Posts
I caught one in Alabama on a cigar minnow. I was bringing it in on a 30lb outfit and seen another with it. My father threw out another cigar minnow and he was hooked up. 15 minutes later I had the 46lbr flopping around the boat. Even after all that..he was still pretty green and hard to get into the cooler. Very tasty fish...weirdest texture ever.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hope to get one like this from the beach this year.

Still waiting to hook up with one but from what EVERYONE I have spoke to about the bombers is you don't want to try to handle a green cobe.....

[ 02-01-2006, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Gilly21 ]

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Rob:
All of the tips stated here are very good for catching one, but here is one tip that you might want to keep in mind about Cobia.......If you get a decent size cobia hooked up, work him to the boat until he is tired......bringing a "Green" Cobia on board a is almost always setting up for trouble.....They have been known to do quite a bit of damage to boats and people on board and will not stop until subdued.....
Good Luck.....Geo.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I tried to catch on at the reefs for a half hour. It stayed with the boat. I tried everything in the box.

[ 02-01-2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: flukin nuts ]

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All great info.

Sometimes they just dont want to bite.
Try Purple bucktails and squid.
Try white bucktails and squid.
If they dont hit right away try getting them pissed off. Moving the rig in figure 8's
and reeling the lure very fast.
Tasty fish, weird texture.
Dont bring a green cobia in the boat.

Thanks for the info.
I had been trying some of these. But I guess I was always finding the ones that dont want to bite.
I'll get one this summer.

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
Like the others said do not bring a green, as in not worn out, cobia on the boat, we did that once with the very first one we ever caught about 10 years ago huge mistake.

We had stuff flying all over the boat and who is going to grab a fish that has all those spines running down its back. Well after 5 minutes, seemed like an hour of this fish going from one end of the boat to the other and everything in the boat being rearranged, a managed to grad the small bat I keep on board and performed a cranial adjustment. Its funny when you see men standing on the seats telling each other "you get no you". We still talk about that day, but someone could have really gotten hurt.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Have never caught one but had ate it in Fla. 2 yrs. ago. One of the best tasting fish I've ever had!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts