BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY BROTHER WAS A FEW MILES OFF THE BEACH LAST THURSDAY BEFORE THE WIND CAME AND SAW A SCHOOL OF LARGE COBIA PATROLING AROUND BUT WOULD NOT TAKE ANY OF HIS OFFERINGS.WHAT TYPE OF BAIT OR LURE SHOULD I TRY IF I HAPPEN TO COME ACROSS THEM THIS WEEK?

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
whole crab or live eel

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WILLIE, CAN I GET EELS THIS TIME OF YEAR ? WHAT KIND OF CRAB ? WHAT ABOUT PEANUTS ? THANKS

·
Registered
28 Posts
NIKKIB, you might be able to hook one but you don't have chance to get it to the boat.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'ld be curious to know the general location your bro was. Live bait placed just in front of them is usually a sure thing. Something along the lines of medium sized adult bunker, large mullet, or even a threadfin shad (Greenie)which have been around the bunker schools from time to time this year. They will often be lazy when on top so a well placed cast is a must. You won't get too many chances before they fade away. Big flashy plugs will work as well, assuming you lead the fish and retrieve in an irratic motion pausing on occasion. Eels will also work as will a tube lure. Buctails with big worms will work also, but I have no experience throwing them at Cobia. As for the comment about hooking but not landing, as long as you have a medium heavy rod and a minimum of 200 yds. of 20 lb test, you should be able to land it. You may have to chase her, but no problem. One hint, decide where you are going to put the fish where it won't destroy anything before you sink the gaff. They go crazy once you stick em'!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YEA STRIKLY FISHIN, ARE YOU SURE THEY WERE COBIA ?DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME LANDING IT, YOU WILL BE THE FIRST ONE I CALL AS IT FLOPS AROUND THE BOAT. ENJOY YOUR TRIP,MAYBE YOUR THE BLACK CAT THAT DRAGS ME DOWN !!

·
Registered
723 Posts
sawdust i have seen many schools of cobia down north carolina its not like a huge school of blue fish the most i saw toghter where 6 or 7 but any more then one can be considered a school.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
A good lure for them is a Hopkins jig, with a twister tail. Cast out,try different retrives,sometime they are at middle of the water colum. (By the way,if they are chashing bunker,you might even get a nice striper) Be sure the cobia is not green when you bring him into the boat,they will tear it up. After they are in,I give them a good rap on the nogin to make sure they stay calm.

·
Registered
189 Posts
They love live eels. I have seen large schools 20-30 during this time of year.
mostly around some sort of structure. These fish are also super intelligent, catch one on an eel out of a school, and they other will not touch another eel, you have to swtch up baits on them.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Whale Creek Marina in Strathmere and Finactics in Ocean City have eels

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.