BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really looking to head to Montauck to stick some cod, especially since the offshore seabass season was a wash. Been trying to check reports from up there and it does not sound good so far. Fishing has been slow and the doggies are still thick. Anyone been up there this month.:huh: Itching to get some cod. Would really appreciate some first hand reports.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Really looking to head to Montauck to stick some cod, especially since the offshore seabass season was a wash. Been trying to check reports from up there and it does not sound good so far. Fishing has been slow and the doggies are still thick. Anyone been up there this month.:huh: Itching to get some cod. Would really appreciate some first hand reports.:thumbsup:
not good yet, hopefully some cold weather gets em biting

·
Registered
924 Posts
hey this is second hand info. but who lies about not catching fish someone went last week and did not do well .gonna get up there too but want to hear it's in full swing waitin for him let me know or good reports to flow .

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Still slow. A lot of sea bass that go back and the blues only left a little over a week ago. Definitely still too warm.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
IMO, simply put, the water is still too warm.That is how come some of those sea bass have not moved offshore and the cod have not come inshore.

Last MLK day the water temp was 38 degrees outside of Barnegat Inlet. This year it was 42+ degrees.

For years the Montauk boats did not start targeting & catching the Cod until early February. I am hoping that the water continues to cool down and that the Cod start should up by the end of the month.

Peter

·
Registered
292 Posts
Water temps are way high, and running almost 10 degrees above normal. Untill that schanges toy can count on the doggies sticking around.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Warm water temps

I am just guessing but if the temps are higher then normal it will have a serious decline of cod caught in sj waters.this sucks because it was good by our standards last 2 years

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I am just guessing but if the temps are higher then normal it will have a serious decline of cod caught in sj waters.this sucks because it was good by our standards last 2 years
I have the same concern, although I believe/hope that at least a portion the cod we started to see this past year have stuck around for the most part (and that they are living around our deeper wrecks in the warmer weather and coming inshore when it gets cold).

Time will be the ultimate judge.

I hope to put this theory to test in the next several weeks by running the Regulator out to some wrecks 20 to 40 miles out of Barnegat Inlet.

Peter

·
Registered
38 Posts
I planned to go on Jan 29th to Walsh's.
I cannot go this coming Sun because capt plans to run on Saturday this weekend.
Pollack fishing is getting better and better every week , he said.
it'll be much more exciting than cod fishing.

·
Administrator
17,848 Posts
I planned to go on Jan 29th to Walsh's.
I cannot go this coming Sun because capt plans to run on Saturday this weekend.
Pollack fishing is getting better and better every week , he said.
it'll be much more exciting than cod fishing.
Welcome...:wave:
Post a report w/pics when you get back... :) :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
buoy 44097 is approx 35 miles east of Montauk and is reporting water temps holding right around 49/50 degrees. That is almost 10 degrees above normal for mid January. Crazy for this time of year. We still have BFT within a few miles of the beach in RI. They are on the herring and the pair trawlers on the herring as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have'nt been but I have freinds that have and all they have to say is is 2 words. Bow wow.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Im going to give it a try - i cant this weekend cause im just getting home. But the following weekend I may drive up to Narragansett and jump on the headboat. If you are interested let me know. I know Gary wants to go and I have to drive up the NJ Tnpk or 295 to get him in Kearney NJ. Im in Md now. Dave

do you still have my work email?? if so hit me up if you are interested.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts