BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Block Island on the MBP with my brother yesterday.
Fishing started slow in the dark. After the sun came up we picked a couple cod. As the day went on the fish started to cooperate.
We had good shots of cod. There were some moments where it was drop and reel fishing of these tasty critters.
Over all the fishing was great. My brother and I ended with 23 cod for the cooler and a few shorts.
There were no particular color of grubs that were producing. I actually landed all my fish (except 1) with no grubs on my hook. Just a couple red beeds. Tried jigging for a while with no luck. It was all about bait.
There were A LOT of boats fishing the area. You name it, they were there. They just pile on top of each other. Drift, anchor whatever.
We fished later than intended and got in a couple hours late.
This was our first time on this boat and I was impressed how proffesional the cap and crew were.
Big thanks to capt. Jim and crew of the MBP.
I had a fantastic time cod fishing with my bro.
Will post some pics later.

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Was in that crowd of boats on the Voyager. Same story. 3 of us took home 23 cod, dropped a bunch, and a buddy won the pool. It was snarky on the return trip. Had great fun thanks to Caps. Jeff & Tracy, the crew and a great bunch of fishermen.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It was great trip. I came back with 12 keepers - two at the 22" limit and the rest were 24" to 29", also had a few throwbacks.

It was a late bite. Once the fish were found every boat in the area were stacked close together - many boats from ports in CT to NJ. At one point we were all anchored up in a line not 30 feet apart - it was an easy cast to boats on both sides. Later we moved a few miles east and drifted - all the boats were again drifting the same area in close succession.

The ride back was a little choppy with lots of ice on the starboard side from the spray. I still would rather take the 6 ½ hour boat ride rather than the 5 hour drive although the ride back was around 8 hours in the chop and headwind but I slept thru about half of it.

I had fresh Cod for dinner tonight. I will be making the trip again.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Some pics
View attachment 24794

View attachment 24795

Sanibelfisher where were you fishing? It was a great time.
Going again, hopefully soon.

Drumrunner,
I will send you some info.
If that is you in the picture we spoke several times......

I was fishing my favorite Mack spot on that boat, Stern, Port side, right next to the filet table. I prefer to fish under the boat.

I am the guy to the left in this shot of the pool fish... If I can swing it in early March I will go again but it is not looking good right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.