BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
things are just starting to cook up block island way. sounds like the rhode islands boats have been doing a little better than the montauk fleet but they pretty much fish the same areas. mudhole is giving up mostly ling but a handfull of cod are caught every trip.ill stick with the j2 and take my two or three cod along with a big mess of ling instead of making that long drive up east. at least till the block island fishery gets into full swing

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Block island is a small island which is between the tip of long island and Martha's vineyard. For the past several winters there has been excellent cod fishing 8 to 15 miles southeast of the island.

Most of the head boats that fish this location sail either out of montauk or RI.

Because the winter ocean temp has been unseasonably warm the cod have not arrived their yet in force.

Good luck.

Peter

·
Registered
629 Posts
Block island is a small island which is between the tip of long island and Martha's vineyard. For the past several winters there has been excellent cod fishing 8 to 15 miles southeast of the island.

Most of the head boats that fish this location sail either out of montauk or RI.

Because the winter ocean temp has been unseasonably warm the cod have not arrived their yet in force.

Good luck.

Peter
sounds like things are going to break wide open after this full moon pete

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Rusty, there are a lot of captains, mates and fishermen who are hoping that you are right. I did about 15 trips up there the Past 3 seasons and I am content to catch cod in our own backyard.

·
Registered
629 Posts
pete ive worked on deck in bl since the early eighties and have enjoyed the fine local fishing that we have down this way.i also remember when the cod were thick enough to catch them on the open bottom down here before the onshore clambeds were decimated.Still jigging them block island fish two at a time till your arms feel like they are going to fall off is hard to beat

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
No place is very hot for cod right now. Block has been slow, and no great reports anywhere to be honest with you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
dont believe the RI boat reports I had a trip with Capt mark cancel last week because of no fish! capt mark is the guy in montauk if he aint catching no one is!

·
Registered
292 Posts
There is one place that is still catchin but not many are making the run. The water East of Chatham is holding some desent cod right now.

I know of some rec guys that have been killin it all winter out there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is one place that is still catchin but not many are making the run. The water East of Chatham is holding some desent cod right now.

I know of some rec guys that have been killin it all winter out there.
Where in the heck is Chatham?:confused:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Had to get some new shoes, went to west marine and the counter person claims that a nj head boat is killinem. I said ling he smirked and said no cod off of Jersey coast I told him good luck.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
On my boat I had a pretty good quick trip for local cod a couple of weeks ago. I got a feeling that they are out there to be had right now.

Peter

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I with you on that Peter. I think this cold snap can only help things. Anyone hear anymore on that Jersey boat getting them yesterday?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I with you on that Peter. I think this cold snap can only help things. Anyone hear anymore on that Jersey boat getting them yesterday?
Heard a boat out of Pt. Pleasant got cod real good yesterday, though mostly short to market size fish...report from someone that was on the boat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts