BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
17,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished a Mudhole trip on the J2 today...A lot of Ling caught on the boat ...with a some Cod and Sea Bass mixed in...the pool winner was 6-8 lb Cod...I ended up with 28 Ling...4 keeper Sea Bass that had to go back...:( 4 Dogs and 1 Bluefish...nice weather and current...everyone pretty much using Clam for bait...
Sunrise...

Biggest Cod caught by a young kid...he was not in the pool...:eek:

·
Registered
25,384 Posts
Remember to post pics of the meal...

Nice report Jim...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
31,514 Posts
Fished a Mudhole trip on the J2 today...A lot of Ling caught on the boat ...with a some Cod and Sea Bass mixed in...the pool winner was 6-8 lb Cod...I ended up with 28 Ling...4 keeper Sea Bass that had to go back...:( 4 Dogs and 1 Bluefish...nice weather and current...everyone pretty much using Clam for bait...
Sunrise...

Biggest Cod caught by a young kid...he was not in the pool...:eek:
make sure you take a close look at those red hake if your lucky you'll get a white one ummm ummm good

·
Registered
31,514 Posts
Hake
Scientific Name: Urophycis sp.
Common Names: mud hake, Boston hake (white hake), squirrel hake, ling (red hake)

The red hake and white hake are an occasional catch of anglers fishing for cod or haddock. The two species are very similar in appearance and often indistinguishable by anglers. Both have two dorsal fins, with the anterior one being much longer than the posterior. The pectoral fins are unusual in that they are two elongated filaments of unequal length. Like most members of the cod family, the hakes have a small barbel under the lower jaw. The red hake has a reddish-brown coloration on its sides and back and rarely exceeds 5 pounds, while the white hake exhibits a bronze-golden color on its sides and can attain sizes up to 30 to 40 pounds. Female red hake are mature at 14 inches in length, while most white hakes are not mature until they reach 27 inches in length. Both species are found in offshore waters. The red hake, however, has a tendency to move closer to shore during the spring, summer and fall months. <return to top of page check out the top catches nick picked up some white hake so be on the look out http://www.nj.com/shore/blogs/fishing/index.ssf/2012/01/ristori_anglers_push_for_vote.html

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Thanks for the report Jim. It looks like you have some good eats there. :thumbsup:

I was out toggin yesterday on a small charter just south of the mudhole and we managed to put a ok catch together. No limits but, some nice size tog were caught.

·
Administrator
17,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone...sorry for the wrong date...the trip was yesterday 1-8...guess I was still waking up from my nap on 195...;) :D

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Jim,
great report, I hope that once again, Ling become a winter staple around here. I sense they are making a comeback.
Every Striped Bass we caught and killed in the DE Bay while chunking the flats, has a Ling or two in its belly. I just hope I am correct.

Thank you for the heads up on to correct the post.

Captn Joe

·
Registered
129 Posts
Love the ling.

My friends also call them **** Bellies and Mud Marlin. Besides Tuna & Salmon, Ling is my wife's favorite.

I have seen some reports of people doing well on Gulp Shrimp for Ling. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Would love to hear. Am planning either a split Mackerel/Bottom trip on Friday or a Magic Hours Ling on Saturday.

At first glance I thought the guy holding the Cod was Ryan from the NorthStar.

·
Administrator
17,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jim,
great report, I hope that once again, Ling become a winter staple around here. I sense they are making a comeback.
Every Striped Bass we caught and killed in the DE Bay while chunking the flats, has a Ling or two in its belly. I just hope I am correct.

Thank you for the heads up on to correct the post.

Captn Joe
Me too ! :)
Thanks for fixing the date...

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Love the ling.

My friends also call them **** Bellies and Mud Marlin. Besides Tuna & Salmon, Ling is my wife's favorite.

I have seen some reports of people doing well on Gulp Shrimp for Ling. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Would love to hear. Am planning either a split Mackerel/Bottom trip on Friday or a Magic Hours Ling on Saturday.

Who does the split trips?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Gotta love a good report with cool pictures attached during this time of the year....thanks for the report...

·
Administrator
17,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love the ling.

Magic Hour Ling ? fill us in....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Magic Hour Ling ? fill us in....
Never made it out. Emergencies on Job #1 on Friday and Job #2 Saturday.

Trying again this week but it looks like it is going to blow on Friday- 5 to 8's.

Have tentative plans to do the Lacey Flea Market in the morning and the Magic Hours in the afternoon/evening. Will post if I get out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts