BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make rod for cod fishing using a Forecast SWB80MH.
Planning to use 8 Virtus lite guides plus tip.
Anybody know the recommended guide spacing?
Thanks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I want to make rod for cod fishing using a Forecast SWB80MH.
Planning to use 8 Virtus lite guides plus tip.
Anybody know the recommended guide spacing?
Thanks.
not very familiar with that blank but , lots of variables what sort of real seat and length of forgrip... the the profile of the reel you intend to match it with .id start 26/28 ifrom the seat to the first guide 11in or so to the next then 10 and keep working them a little closer as you go...electric tape and lots of pulling till it feels right. it looks kinda cheesy but i like to fish the stick with the guides taped on once before i wrap....happy pulling

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Im with Rusty Scupper here.
Best way to find the correct spacing is to tape/rubber band the guides on. Throw the reel on it, and tie up to a scale. You will see how important guide spacing is!!! By moving a guide just an inch, you can lose or add power to the rod.

You should notice a difference in pulling power by moving the guides around. Find the action/power your looking for and lock it in.

I will get an argument here, but there is no 1 "right " spacing for any 1 rod blank. The distribution of the guides can and will change a rod blank. :)

If your going to use somebody elses "standard" spacing, why waste your time? That blank should offer up a good 30%-35% power variable.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
you should do a static test for guide placement, if you are close to my shop i can show you how we do it.
its a litlle different than some guys.

you may need more than 8 guides.
our starting point is usually a giude a foot +1, so a 8' rod can and may take 9 guides or more.

getting the correct spacing with a static test, will give you the right guide placement.
it only takes a few minutes to get it right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.