BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a new rod for codfishing.Only go about 8 times a year.mostly fish mudhole wrecks.might use it for Block island cod and my once a year Mass cod trip.Dont want to go the custom route too expensive .Anybody have any suggestions for a over the counter rod that will do the job, Thanks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
the hole and south of block are way different fisherys than new england. the 8 ft ugly stick with a 4/0 gets the job done bait fishing or jigging up there , but its a bit of an overkill down this way.if its one rod for both and you can handle the weight thats how i would go

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Before I bought a custom cod rod for deep water jigging,I used the eight foot Ugly stick for years.It worked extremely well and was good for both bait and jigging with jigs up to 16 ozs.:wave::wave::wave:

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
New England you are in 250+' of water 16 oz jigs and often 20 oz jigs are required or similar weights for bait fishing. The fish tend to be bigger in NE also. Block you are much shallower so you can get away with lighter jigs 12+ oz, and NJ wreck fishing is again different. I don't think any one rod is good for each. There is a compromise for each of the applications. A heavier rod for New England might be overkill or tiring for an all day Jersey trip because you are very arm weary after after a day in NE. I use a different rod myself for Jersey than NE.

I guess you need to figure out what you'd like to base the decision on.

·
Registered
292 Posts
New England you are in 250+' of water 16 oz jigs and often 20 oz jigs are required or similar weights for bait fishing. The fish tend to be bigger in NE also. Block you are much shallower so you can get away with lighter jigs 12+ oz, and NJ wreck fishing is again different. I don't think any one rod is good for each. There is a compromise for each of the applications. A heavier rod for New England might be overkill or tiring for an all day Jersey trip because you are very arm weary after after a day in NE. I use a different rod myself for Jersey than NE.

I guess you need to figure out what you'd like to base the decision on.
Mike, Up hear the depth you will be fishing will depend on the time of year and the targeted species. In first part of the season (April 15th thru around June) you will be fishing up on the bank in 90' for cod and just east of it in 150' for haddock, as the season goes on and the water warms you could be fishing as deep as 300' as you move further east. As things cool in the fall you could be back up in 100' to 150'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.