BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We took a last minute trip and with all the glowing reports this week of the Block Island Cod fishery we were very hopeful. Gary and I jumped on the Lady Frances 5 am departure yesterday (Sunday) as the 3 am boat was full. What can I say….? It was a nice day out. Easy three hr ride up from Kearny NJ and we got to the dock at 240 or so. The sister ship pulled out at 3 am.

At 430 there were 56 fares. At 500 am probably 70.

So the bite from earlier in the week, and even the day before didn’t happen. It was like a lightswitch was thrown. We got to a fleet of anchored boats about 7 am something. The skipper went up and down the outsides of the anchored boats and after about 15 mins said he was going to look for some fish. The anchored boats were doing nothing. We didnt see a fish come in. Not one. and everybody was staring with mouths ajar.

We went about 15 mins away, tried three fishless drifts and went back into the fleet. The first two drifts we caught a handful of fish, more on bait than jigs. Most were small 3-4 lb fish and some sub legal. A few fish in high single digits and a few in the low teens, but the vast majority were small. A first timer did manage to put one in the boat that was about 35 lbs caught on a rental rod with clam.

The fleet had boats from Conn, Mass, RI, and NY all in it. I took some pictures and just looking at them I the Hel Cat 2, many charter boats from Montauk, Capt Lou IV party boat, Capt Mark Montauk charter, Rosie (red party boat), Helcat 2 Connecticut party boat, Viking Superstar and Viking Starship Montauk, Nice Day Too (Mass), Sea Otter 2 charter boat, Celtic Quest Party boat, Fishy Business NY charter, Ebb tide party boat NY, Gail Frances and Lady Frances, etc etc and 20 other boats...

But fishing was slow. Skipper kept us out late and we pulled in at 445 pm. I know some boats caught some fish and we did see a sprinkling of fish going over the rails now and again, but the boats were all railed.

I fished all day. Im going to go ahead and say it. I got skunked!!!
Gary is of the opinion that I did it to myself by bringing a banana on the boat, and hiding it in his tackle box so not only did that banana get on the boat, it road out to the fishing grounds and was inside his tackle. I had not even a single hit and I fished the pulpit casting out away from the other guys but nada. We even arrived early to get that spot. But the fish either aren’t there, or they didn’t want to bite. And the ones that did seemd to want clams as much as anything.

We tried. Even a slow day fishing is a good day. So some guys got in real good trips this week, and some guys hit it right and limited out early, but my two trips were probably the slowest days of the year. 24 Jan and 07 March.

Im going back up soon. Its an easy ride and Id just as soon go out of RI than Montauk, even though I live in NJ. Anyhow hope you guys crush them this week. Skipper and mates were great on the boat.

Heres some pics of the fleet. Dates set wrong o my daughters cam tho

Dave

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not complaining.:naughty:

The guys who need to complain are Jake (who had to do housework with his wife) and this other guy, who had "to take his wife to Target":razz:

We had good food, fun BS ing with the crew, nice scenery, etc...

I'd go back tomorrow if i had off form work. Id definately go this weekend but the wife is headed to W Kingston RI and I have to take the scouts to the parade and to their Tiger Scout promotion.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wow

Dave,

First of all I need to commend you for your drive, desire and motivation to cod fish. Second of all understanding that from time to time there will be days like that. There is not a worse job in the world when the bite is off and the fares are staring at the Capt wondering what is wrong with you. I know the FF works hard and does everything to put fish in the boat.

I know, (crystal ball) on May 20th and May 21st when you come to fish Stellwagen Bank on RELENTLESS you will have very good to excellent trips AS LONG AS YOU LEAVE THE BANANAS IN JERSEY. Remember, you are the leading charter for cancellations with me over the years due to weather and you are due for a big day. We will catch haddock and cod and by the way the seas will be calm. I hope I don't eat my words but I am very excited about the trips coming up.

Thanks for the awesome detailed report and have a good day.

Capt Dave

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was also fishing the same area .I sailed with the Miss Montauk .And I also took the skunk. I had read the good reports all week but nada. The captain said because of the Sea Bass closure and not much else to fish for they have been puting extreme pressure on the Cod. Party boats are even sailing up from Jersey with great frequency. So the combination of pressure and to many boats in the area spooking them the chances of having a day like we did could be the norm for a few days. Oh and by the way thanks for posting your thread ,you took the words right out of my mouth. Except I drove up from Cherry Hill. One more thing the crew from the Miss Montauk were good folk they just need to iron out a few issues with there new boat.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I wonder if this is the end of the season coming to a close there? A friend of mine who is a charter boat captain told me on March 8th, last year it was if someone threw a switch and said time to go guys. Very interesting patterns we are seeing with these fish. Up here on Stellwagen Bank, we had an inshore fishery with big spawners that started faithfully on November 8th and went into March. In May we had the same thing not too far off the North Shore. The fish were in State waters and the DMF closed both areas down during this time of year to protect the spawing stock and I beleive it is making somewhat of a difference.

I know someone who went on a scouting trip this weekend and landed very nice clean market cod and released them. I expect a good season especially once the Haddock move in during April.

Capt Dave

·
Registered
256 Posts
I TOO WAS OUT IN BLOCK ISLAND SUN ON THE VIKING SUPERSTAR.AS THE SAYING GOES,YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE YESTERDAY. WE LEFT THE DOCK AT AROUND 3AM,GOT TO THE GROUNDS AT 5 AND I DID NOT CATCH MY 1ST COD TILL 11:00 AM. I MANAGED TO CATCH 4 KEEPER WITH 4 THROWBACKS.WE LEFT THE GROUNDS AT AROUND 4PM. CAPT GAVE US MORE THAN A FAIR SHAKE AT IT. :thumbsup: DROVE UP FROM POINT PLEASANT AND MADE IT THERE IN 3:45. AS FAR AS THE BANANA THING GOES SOMEONE IN THE FLEET MUST HAVE BEEN CHUMMING WITH THEM.:eek: STILL LOVE THE GAME.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Real close. some of the spots were small and the boats lined up one after another. At times, I could not flip my jig out because another boat was in front of us. We had a tangle with another boat, and while trying to untangle it the lines got into the charter boat. A three boat tangle.

Its all fun tho. Nobody yelling or any of that BS.

Ok, who's coming with me???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.