BASS BARN banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a known fact that in most night fisheries both bait fish and the predators are attracted to light. A boat with spreader lights might attract a schooll of bait, keeping the big fish around, Lightsticks being used to attract sworfish, bluefish, freshwater bass and so many other species. And nowadays Hydaglow light 3-4' long that act as a giant lightstick. A couple of questions. Light sticks come in various colors, is the original Green color the best, do any conditions, perhaps moon phazes call for a differnt color?
Party boats probably have more lights, spreader style than most. I have seen the following bulbs used as the light source, each giving different color temperatures, screw in incadescents, approx. 3,200 kelvin [reddish orange appearance] quartz, I'll guess 4,000-4,800 kelvin[ approaching blue daylight color, and mercury vapor, high 40's to mid 50's Kelvin[bluish].
Kelvin temperatures are important factros in the outcome of photography.
Shoot any person with a flash,5,600 kelvin/blue light and their skin will look pale and washed out, put on a warming filter, reddish orange and it looks like they have a tan. The light plays a role on whats pleasing to the eye. Does it apply here in fishing.
Any thoughts on either issues. Jay WEinberg/ Bullseye sells Hydraglows, and I think he, or someone wrote that two works better than one.
Also, High seas has a "Strobe light", looks like half of a flashlight, and it blinks, I always wondered how this worked. Someone came out with a diamong jig that has a slot that you can insert a light stick, and I have seen the same with some offshore lures.
I remember back in the late seventies they came out with glow tubing for jigs, pale green looking, charged by holding it next to a light bulb for 10-30 seconds. You couldnt keep the bluefish away from it.
Is there something else new out there as well? Kevin Bogan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts