BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had company this weekend with the weather being so nice someone in fly country had to catch something, even if it was on bait. Colds don't count.

I spent all day Saturday trying to get my trailer lights to work properly. I am pretty good with trailer lights, usually 15 minutes and any problem can be taken care of. Not this time. I keep popping fuses in truck. I used 15 to be exact. Finally found I had a bolt that cut the insulation on a wire internally inside the trailer. Didn't find it till today when I bought a new wire harness and rewired trailer. Two days later it is all fixed.

In the meantime, I figured all you guys were out there giving it a shot. It is no crime to admit you had to use bait to get a fish, while the water is still this cold. Nobody tried???????

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I lucked into a massive herring run at my secret spot on my secret creek and got 462 50lb+ bass. They were stacked up in there like salmon, splashing and tailing out of the water. I could have put my hand out and lipped them if I wanted.

Is this what you wanted to hear???

Actually, I did go to the creek a few days ago and saw some shrimp and lots of minnies cruising along the surface, but no bigger fish underneath them. I think the fish might have been there at dead high tide, like they usually are. It should start anytime soon. Really, I just went to try out a cool new fly I tied up, not expecting to see anything. The fly looks nice in the water. Hopefully the fish will agree.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave I knew that creek was good, but that creek is only wide enought to handle 300 50lb fish so I knew you were kidding when you said 462. I got my trolling motor back and will put it back on today and I am ready to rock and roll. Forcast not looking the greatest for the end of the week, but I will be ready.

Thought ShoeB would have something to report from the point. Keep some of those herring alive, You still remeber what live bait fishing is, don't you.

I could even go for another trout trip or a bauers pond trip. If you want to try something, give me an Email.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We went out Friday for a test run with the boat. Headed up on the Susky Flats to see if anything was going on; but, it was an AM bite and we didn't leave the dock until 3:00 PM. At least we got out on the water and wet a line for the first time this year.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like there wasn't any ice breaking. Weather today is dismal to say the least. Drizzle cold and damp. Not bad weather if we had a warm spell and the fish were active already. A day like today would be a good fishing day. This junk is suppose to hang around into the weekend when we just need a couple of warm days to get the ball rolling. I thought this would be a good week to get us started. It can't stay cold forever, but it is hard to wait. This week starts daylight savings time and it isn't fair not to have warm weather to enjoy it. Let't hope something will happen this weekend to get us all out there.

·
Banned
964 Posts
No ice broken at the Point, Ray...
I got tied up with down-to-the-wire boat work and de-winterizing the plumbing at the house.
I have every intention of giving it a go 4/3 and 4/4... Hopefully then...

I'm still worried that the cool-off this week is going to stall things, but remain optimistic.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keys Kid and ShoeB, lets hope it happens this weekend. Can we take another week of the cold stuff? Sooner or later the fish just have to eat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Went out yesterday after work to test out a new shooting head system. Well even with the wind it worked pretty good. Had a fly on, but no takers.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by CapeMayRay:
Keys Kid and ShoeB, lets hope it happens this weekend. Can we take another week of the cold stuff? Sooner or later the fish just have to eat.
On a positive note, they weather were having is blowing from the East...hopefully it'll blow in some warmer off shore water and those big tasty herring that are sitting JUST offshore! :D

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Happened on Sat.! Got two nice ones and dropped a handful of others, all on soft plastics in the middle of the day. FUN STUFF! :D

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps there is some light at the end of the tunnel. I don't think it is the warm sun, but I am hopeful. I believe by next weekend it will be better and we will all have a chance to report some fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts