BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that you guys are against this, but why not allow the netters to catch stripers that are very abundant and make them cut back on the weakies in exchange? Seems to make sense to me, but then again alot of things that make sense to me,make alot of other people angry,go figure

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I dont know anything about this, but I would say because stripers are not abundant, and if the netters are allowed to catch stripers...its bye bye stripers ....am I close?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Netting Stripers is not the anser!
Thats all I know.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
here's 2 cent worth,no,noaa,nitz,nota... :D

maybe a hook & line catch no netting, size limmits could be more controlled,and numbers kept percise

freedom

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If it was EVER going to happen do it with a rod and reel...Fred, would you be for that? And do lbs instead of #'s of fish like the idiots in NC :rolleyes: I am in no way, shape or form promoting any commercial take of stripers though. Historically speaking its not a wise move.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Originally posted by Fred81876:
i think there a more bass than bluefish or weakfish
K,I got pulled in, care to answer why you think this?

Also, I never seem to get an answer, would it make life easier if the government subsidised this buisness?

·
Registered
31,156 Posts
Originally posted by Fred81876:
I know that you guys are against this, but why not allow the netters to catch stripers that are very abundant and make them cut back on the weakies in exchange? Seems to make sense to me, but then again alot of things that make sense to me,make alot of other people angry,go figure
Good Idea, then we'll have no bass either.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Fred, Aren't The Comm.Fishing Boats At Least Some Of Them Fishing For Stripers Already ?
And Just Are Not Getting Caught...
Based on this recent article,it seems that they
are... Check It Out :
-------------------------------------------------
Marine Patrol Nabs La. Menhaden Boat With Stripers

The N.C. Marine Patrol, the enforcement arm of the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries, cited the entire crew of a Louisiana menhaden factory boat Dec. 28, 2004, for the illegal netting and filleting of striped bass.

(PRWEB) January 26, 2005 -- The N.C. Marine Patrol, the enforcement arm of the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries, cited the entire crew of a Louisiana menhaden factory boat Dec. 28, 2004, for the illegal netting and filleting of striped bass.

A striper angler at the scene told North Carolina Sportsman approximately two dozen recreational boats were fishing ?between the Cape Lookout jetties and the Dead Tree Hole (off Shackleford Banks). First, a (menhaden boat) spotter plane shows up, then the factory boat, and it dropped off a (purse-seine) boat.

?(The purse-seine boat) used a net to make a circle (around the menhaden school), then tightened it down. Then the factory boat came alongside and sucked up the menhaden with a big vacuum hose.?

During that process, anglers saw workers tossing striped bass, that had been feeding on the menhaden, out of the nets. One of the recreational anglers called the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries Marine Patrol.

?Yes, we got a call from one of (the striper anglers),? Capt. Steve Anthony said. ?We always appreciate any calls (the fishing public makes to the Patrol). It works out well for everybody.?

Within a few minutes and after a MP helicopter, piloted by CWO Rock Newman, had surveyed the menhaden boat?s netting operation, a DMF vessel, captained by Sgt. Herb Orama, arrived with officers Mitch Stone, Brian Gillis and two Coast Guardsmen from Fort Macon.

?The helicopter pilot saw big stripers on the deck of the boat,? Sgt. Orama said. ?He called me while we were checking another (factory) boat.?

?(Marine Patrol officers) boarded the boat and stayed on it for two hours at least,? the striper angler said. ?They ended up writing 24 violations. They wrote everyone on the boat a ticket for illegal possession of striped bass and possessing mutilated finfish.?

Col. Joe Lynch, head of the Marine Patrol, confirmed the angler?s account.

?They had 13 whole striped bass on the boat, a couple of tails and some fillets,? he said. ?The boat, the Albert J. Bourg, had 12 members including the captain. Each crew member received two citations. The boat has a Louisiana homeport.?

Menhaden factory boats working N.C. waters are usually in the employ of Beaufort Fisheries of Beaufort or Houston, Texas-based Omega Protein.

Lynch said the officers also checked a Mississippi menhaden boat, the Grand Batture, but found no violations.

Orama estimated the stripers ranged in size from 15 to 35 pounds.

The Bourg?s crew used gaffs to remove stripers from the purse seines.

?They were going to eat the stripers,? Sgt. Orama said. ?The captain said he didn?t realize they couldn?t keep striped bass.?

Orama said a regulation allows commercial boat crews to keep 1 percent of their catch for personal consumption, but that rule doesn?t apply to striped bass.

?First, the (netting) season?s closed and second, no one can take stripers with purse seines, only gill nets,? Orama said.

The DMF had set a Jan. 4-5 gill-netting season for ocean stripers with two additional days, Jan. 11-12, to be added if the poundage quota wasn?t reached Jan. 4-5.

In addition to a fine for possessing stripers illegally, Lynch said the menhaden boat crew, if found guilty, could pay replacement costs for each dead fish.

?The total fine, if they plead guilty or are found guilty, will depend on how serious the judge is,? Lynch said. ?(The fine) would be based on a per-pound fee.?

The recreational striper angler said the purse-seine boats didn?t encircle any sport-fishing boats while setting their nets.

?They made small circles to avoid that,? he said. ?But if we weren?t there, they would have made a larger set. If we hadn?t been there, you wonder how many stripers, red drum or whatever else they might have netted (in the bycatch).
Even though they didn?t encircle us, the impression was terrible. You have these two huge boats come in where you?re fishing and put out nets and seem to catch everything.?

The recreational angler said the best aspect of the incident was the Marine Patrol?s quick response.

?It was super quick,? he said. ?(Recreational striper anglers) were impressed with how quickly (the arrest) went down.?

For the latest in outdoor features, news and columns, subscribe to North Carolina Sportsman magazine by calling (800) 538-4355 or visiting www.northcarolinasportsman.com.

By Craig Holt

------------------------------------------------

Now, How Many Boats Are Getting Away With This,It Makes You Wonder....
If They Would Open This Up As A Legal Fish
(Striped Bass) for Catch & Sale In NJ They Really
Be In Big Trouble I Think,, Anyone Else Agree?

[ 03-17-2005, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
I also believe there are more Striper's then Weak's and Blue's, and there wont be a problem with stock's as long as they keep the 3 mile limit in effect . Anyone with a boat that has seen the massive school's of fish, wave after wave go by has to scratch their head when you here folk's say that we need to cut back on #s caught!! Their like Pirhanna's eating everthing in site, wish they would allow more slot's to be kept, save the breeder's, my 2 cent's again !!

·
Registered
16,130 Posts
Agreed stripedfever, w/ everything you said!! Those who think there are alot of bass in the bays and beachfront, it's nothing compared to the schools in the EEZ! Though, as much as it sucks that the whole EEZ is closed for one fish, opening it would open it to commercial fishing too which could be devastating to the stocks w/ the tactics they use. So, in effect, we are all, recs and comms being screwed just because of the thought of gill nets seeing those waters! So no Fred, I can't agree! If you guys could bear to use less destructive methods to catch fish, and a conservative pound quota instead of a # of fish quoata that results in wasteful culling, was put in place and enforced, things could be different! Your guys insistence on using wasteful tactics is the problem, nets, trawls and longlines are destructive and counterproductive in insuring your cause....fishing! Why do you think there's no weaks and blues? Trawling fluke while they are stacked up like shingles at their offshore spawning grounds is real smart too, not! If people want to eat fish bad enough, they'll pay a premium for fish caught by hook and line! With rebounded populations, it shouldn't be too hard for you guys to get em the way we do!

[ 03-17-2005, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think a hook and line fishery would work and it would be alot of fun, the problem would be that at that point you would prob. end up with alot of sport fishermen selling there catch,which is fine by me. i think it would relieve alot of presure on some of the other stocks. not only would there be less guys catching weakies and blues there would also be less stripers to eat them pardon the grammer i am holding by 5 month old

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Don't go to far away I have a lot to say too all of you guys who say the netters will wipe them out.

More on this in the AM.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I ask myself over and over is this topic about the fish or is it about greed, envy and ego ????? To be honest with ya I can't see how it is about the fish.

If in fact it was about the fish then there would be a monitoring system in place. You guys have zero idea of how many fish are caught in NJ let alone the whole east coast. That is a fact, Somebody please give me a hard number not a guess. A DOWN TO THE POUND NUMBER. YA CAN'T !!!!!

In NJ our quota is 320,000 pounds a year. You guys call that you bonus fish. I call it your bogus fish. Because it was wrongly swindled from us. That story is for later !

Never the less just like in every other fishery we are monitored to the hilt. So if it was truly about the fish stocks, you guys would want us to have our fish solely based upon the fact that we can be shut down within 24 hours. Meaning that Our portion of the quota is impossible to exceed. That is a fact ! Further more as a security measure there have been guidelines established, that if we do go over a quota the overage is taken from the following season. This system works for several species so why would striped bass be any different ?

So tell me is it about the fish ???? NO

another point to ponder on is How and why does this system work in every other state except NJ ? Do the Comms in NJ catch more fish then the Comms in other states ? Are we that much better fishermen then the other states ??

Ask yourselves these questions and keep in mind that NJ is in fact the only state that doesn't have a Comm Striped bass harvest. That is a fact.

Greed , Envy and Ego has to be the answer.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Youd do anything for a dollar huh?

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
SAVE the MENHADEN !!!

There would be more Blues, Weakies and Striper's if they where able to find their MAIN source of food... AKA MR. BUNKER.

You can thank the Commie's for another species that is almost wiped out because of GREED $$$ to make pet food, fertizler, perfume....

Johnny d

[ 03-19-2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: johnny d ]

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Talked about facts.

FACT:

The Rec's have never destroyed a fishery or species of a fishery.

If you can name 1, just 1 species please do?

Johnny d

1 - 20 of 62 Posts