BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reason when the commercial boats come into CM inlet they have their outriggers or planers down. They take up half of the harbor?:mad:

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Sorry for the inconvenience. They are not Out riggers like you use They are to keep the vessel stabilized. If they were to be lifted in the ocean the boat could very easily roll right over Quick real Quick.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Picker, I can understand them having them down comming through the inlet. But, I've seen a couple that run through the harbor with them down. Is that Proper or even legal?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Many of our buoys and lights are literally mutilated by them things quite often, it gives us alot of work going out there and totally replacing all the lighting gear, and sometimes replacing complete platforms on the lights. I'm not complaning though, it keeps us busy and I love what I do. 2CM hads been hit so many times, I would like to know what kind of damage that does to their outriggers, these buoy are a few thousand pounds of steel.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
DJ COAST are you responsible for replacing the lights ????

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
he's not welcome !!!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Fishpicker- there were 6 or 7 draggers in a very concentrated area (maybe 2-3 sq miles) this past Sunday in the Cigar area. Do you happen to know what they were catching in their nets? Clams?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
400 lbs of Scallops

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Fishpicker said:
400 lbs of Scallops
400# on the net or the gross weight?? Running a boat for that amount doesn't seem profitable. If $4.00 a pound (prob a high guess), I would think it would costs more than $1,600 to run a boat out there with fuel, etc, plus crew pay and all.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
picker why would you need to stabilize inside the harbor protected on both sides by jetties? Sorry I f i do not the correct terminology.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
mako6950 said:
400# on the net or the gross weight?? Running a boat for that amount doesn't seem profitable. If $4.00 a pound (prob a high guess), I would think it would costs more than $1,600 to run a boat out there with fuel, etc, plus crew pay and all.
It's more like $8-$10 a pound for the day boats. $3200-$4000 for the day is very profitable.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Some boats are set up to drop the birds into the water when the outriggers go down. Thats way old school !!!!! None of the boats that I have worked on leave divers in the water, past the top of the rocks. ( they hit the shoal )

Tom this is all those guys have left the bulk of them are shimpers from way down south 6 $ to 4 $ ain't much if ya do it one time a week do it 7 time and ya got a little something.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Ive seen riggers out, birds up as far back as the CG docks. Makes for an interesting show on the weekend. Never seen one with the birds in the water between the jetties.
Whats up with the blue hulled boat by the CMYC anchorage?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
He's not welcome anywhere.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Two Years Ago One Of The Carolina Boats Dropped The Rigging And Was Hanging The Bird 10 To 12 ' Above The Water As He Passsed The Coast Guard Station Outbound,i Was Fishing The Sw Edge Of The Channel And There Was Room In The Channel.i Was Fishing With Badfinger And Mrs Finger(scotties Longtime Girlfriend)he Had Me Lined Up For A 1/4 Mile And Never Moved And The Finger Said Get Ready To Moved And I Said I Ain't Moving.the Bird Ticked Ticked The Top Of A Rod In My Launcher On The T-top. The Coast Guard Was On The Opposite Side And Should Have Seen This But Didn't. If It Was Lower We Could Have Jumped.now I No Why Some Of These Guys Aren't Welcome. This Guy Went Out Of His Way To Be An As$.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Fishpicker said:
He's not welcome anywhere.
Seems to be alot of that going around this year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts