BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the netters out on monday out front of cape may. I was wondering how far these guys need to be out before setting their nets or can they set them where ever thay want

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
what the commercial guys do is listen on channel 68 for the latest catching by us fishermen. Then they go out and drop their nets where we are all catching fish. The commercial fleets DO have regulations, but belive me they know ways to get around the rules.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Phil:
what the commercial guys do is listen on channel 68 for the latest catching by us fishermen. Then they go out and drop their nets where we are all catching fish. The commercial fleets DO have regulations, but believe me they know ways to get around the rules.
The correct answer is !!!!! Otter trawls 2 miles , Gill Nets from high water line out .
The small white net boat that you saw in front of Cape May was dragging . Trust me he doesn't need to listen to ch68 to find the meat , He's catching Horseshoe crabs for the state of NJ. (research)!!!!

He is the only Net boat working off of Cape May . He has been work there for the last 50 years. I know this because he is the same man that taught me the beach. No we don't bend the rules like suggested in other post, Keep in mind our livelihood are in jeopardy. A violation would mean loss of permit.

Next time I use the radio to catch fish will be the first. I listen yes and laugh at most. We talk on the scrambled channel so you can't hear us.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
I can hear ya BIG BOY ;) :D I knew you were listening to me to catch the tails too :rolleyes: ;)

If some of these guys only knew what you communist know or wait is it commies or maybe commercials I get mixed up. :D Hell the ones I know, know more than I dream of. Don't bashem you may need them one day for a some fish at your party. :D

Hey Big M have a good holiday I'll chat with you when all the crowds leave.

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Fishpicker:

Just curious, where they catching horseshoe crabs or clams for research. I worked with the State, we contracted out a clam boat for our research for the surf clam stock assessment. Usually furthur up the coast this time of year though.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
arent your bait suppliers commercial? its not their fault you can't catch fish they have to mak a living too

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
the little white net boat and I haven't talked for three years due to ego.(he said she said BS) He was my mentor/teacher for 15 years. Trust me he's gettin crabs for research/blood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts