BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many people would be for or against a limited entry comm striped bass permit for hook and line no nets or other gear just hook and line,fishing rod or handline

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Well Waterman at least it didn't get locked up yet !!!!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
No reason to lock it up, I think I have always been far here in this forum concerning the commerical industry feelings towards NJ Fisheries.
I have a brother that has been running a commerical boat for decades and I know both sides of the story. Its just a really tough sell here for you guys on a Rec.message board...
I am positive that 99.9% of the members here never want to see a commercial harvest of Striped Bass. They still have a long long way to go here along the coast and really don't need any other pressure...

[ 10-22-2005, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yes-hook and line ONLY! I dont think a hook and line has ever decimated a fish population. You get that and take the nets off the weakfish for us. I would support any commercial fishing, limited entry, that was hook and line. Take away spotter planes, longlines, and nets and I doubt there would be a single problem with our fisheries

·
Registered
930 Posts
Originally posted by Emily Lynn:
Yes-hook and line ONLY! I dont think a hook and line has ever decimated a fish population. You get that and take the nets off the weakfish for us. I would support any commercial fishing, limited entry, that was hook and line. Take away spotter planes, longlines, and nets and I doubt there would be a single problem with our fisheries
There also wouldn't be very many fish in the fishmarkets, and the cost for what they actually had to sell would be through the roof.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Cam, true but that would be thier problem if they didnt fish. There isnt much venison in supermarkets either-the people that want it go out and get it. Im chewing on a plate of breaded loin cutlets right now! Seriously, my point was that I do support commercial fishing that doesnt hurt the populations and even more important doesnt have a high bycatch rate. I subscribe to National Fisherman, a commercial mag, and have learned alot about how these guys are trying to improve the bycatch issue. Staying with the topic of the thread, I would support a limited entry hook and line bass fishery. ps Waterman, this ones gonna blow up in the am!

[ 10-23-2005, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: Emily Lynn ]

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
md & va has hook &line come catch some of the guys i work with get as much as a 1,000 lb a trip,so don't think they can't get much of a market, theres arealy one in place.

Emily Lynn is got it rigth, what are they willing to give up?

but i guess it don't work that way, so sorry but, NO

freedom ots.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
FREEDOM--YOU ARE RIGHT IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY NOW OR IN THE PAST BUT FOR BOTH PARTIES INTERESTS WE MUST MAKE IT WORK IN THE FUTURE CAUSE NEITHER GROUP IS GOING AWAY. TALKING ON THE BARN IS A START. TWO THING,FIRST WE HAD A HAND IN THE DELAWARE BAY ON THE DEMISE OF THE WEAKFISH WEATHER SOMEAGREE OR NOT,THINK BACK. I THINK BYCATH IS A PROBLEM THAT MUST BE WORKED OUT OR WE BOTH KEEP LOOSING. M THOUGHTS NOT READY TO SAY YES TO ROD AND REEL BUT ITS A TOPIC THAT MAY BE ABLE TO WORK SOMEHOW.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
For the record VA MD do have Comm Striped bass seasons for more then rod and reel. There system is the best that is in place by far. Both Management wise and fairness. It promotes catching your allotted fish when you deem it necessary.

As far as the 50/50 split We've been down this road many time and I will say again. " How do you know that your not already catching 50% ? " We Know hard fact what we are catching The best your side has come up with is a guess. No offense to the actual rec fishermen. They have nothing to do with monitoring. Nobody know how much is really caught. NOBODY !!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Nightstrike The lock down comment was sarcastic.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by Fishpicker:
Nightstrike The lock down comment was sarcastic.
No Problem Buddy, I know where you coming from.

·
Banned
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am also saying that in addition to limited entry there would also be a set limit on weight that way the price would not go drop like a rock,you have to look at all the positives it would bring as far as restaraunts,fish markets,and comms themselves and i,m sure it would open up a new generation of fishermen also i,m sure more than a few rec guys would be lining up for a shot at that license who really wouldn,t want it go out fishin catch a 100lbs of bass and sell it for 4$ a lb you just made 400 dollars to pay for gas and tackle plus take your girlfriend out to dinner i see nothing but positives

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
honestly what makes any body think that a SWL salt water lic will give mrips better data ?

my krazy wife buys afresh water lic and don't fresh water fish, it makes her feel like she hepling FG&W and she uses it for some public/fg&w ramps for her jet ski. now is that data being missed used? or are they counting her as a ramp user only?

and thats my basis of missed used data by mrips :D

YES BIGGEST WE HAVE COME CLOSER AS USER GROUPS THEN BEFORE.BUT WHAT ABOUT THE THE COMMERICAL GUY THAT SAID MAYBE CHARTER BOAT CAPTIANS SHOULD BE A LIMMITED ENTRY ? I KNOW IT WAS ONLY ONE BUT? HE GOT A POINT :D I ONLY TYPED CAPS FOR YOU TO READ EAZER SORRY BOUT THE SPELLING :D

freedom ots.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
No No and No.
Striped Bass should be keep as a game fish!!! Give them an inch and they will take it ALL.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.