BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, before everyone reams me...I want everyone to catch fish and enjjoy themselves...if you want to keep and eat your fish, fine...I am happy for you...I do the same on most occasions....but I was thinking...

As fishermen and conservationists, should we be killing the spring breeding stocks of fish? Should we practice catch and release until June 1?

I am not some bleeding heart, fish hugging liberal so focus on the question please. I am very curious as to other's opinions and if someone is knowledgeable, how we may be affecting the populations of drum, stripers, and weakfish.

Thanks...I am going fishing this morning!

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Make Me Nuts are you Hip in drag :D

There is some logic to that but the other problem is they bite best before they go nookie. I think if we all try to let some go it would be better in the future. The other problem is the research information about what, who and why are not in front of our faces and as lazy humans we don't go look for it to learn because we are busy fishin.

Why don't the goverment try to raise fish in hatcheries and increase the productivity of fish. Hell we do it with trout. Why because it generates revenue for the state. :rolleyes: I guess flounder don't generate enough to raise but oysters do because they resturants buy them.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
MMN,

You have hit upon a topic that has been beaten to death many times here on the Barn. You have been around long enough to have seen this topic bandied about and round and round.

We have to loo at the reality of this situation though. There are those (myself included) who do not fish for stripers in the spring. I have had invites from some of the best....InDepth, Megabites, Shooter... just to name a few, but I have declined. I just can't see beating up those fish. Besides, I don't fish until my boat is water ready
As for the Drum...Those fish are only resident here in selected spots during the summer so the spawn run of monsters is the best, if not only opportunity for us to catch them here in NJ. We have little impact when compared to the airplane spotted schools that are snatched up by the netters. Weakfish......I have cleaned dozens upon dozens of medium sized weakies that were full of roe during the summer, so what is big problem with catching some of the larger ones in the early season. You also hav eto take into consideration the fecundity of these species. Evidentally Stripers drop many many eggs so stock replenishment goes on regardless of the pressure we bring to bear. Drum Are essentially the same story. Weakies are very prolific, being lower on the food chain. They reproduce like crazy....it is the southern Panfish fishery for weakies that is destroying that fishery.

Stain, Breeding some species of fish is jjust oo difficult to do in large quantity. Some fish like Salmon and trout are relatively easy to breed and so are subject to large quantity breeding programs. I disagree with you about the revenue Fluke generate.....I believe it is huge! So a breeding program for fluke would be very profitable so to speak. Weakies would be another. One potential snag could be the migratory nature of these fish. For instance, if you keep bluegills in fish tanks at a steady warm temperature, they will not color up in the spring and will not become ripe with eggs and milt...they have to be chilled for a time to activate those systems. Perhaps weakies and fluke have those same requirements or some other limiting requirement that cannot be easily duplicated in the lab or fishfarm environment.

MMN, Hip will love you!

·
Registered
49 Posts
When the saltwater license is passed and it has to be now that the feds have put their foot down We will probably see alot of inovative programs that were on the wish list become a reality. I like the sound of fluke breading I can see the bluefish and momma flukes now following the stocking boats around so then can scarf out.
Barrell

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
To me the same logic goes on all year. If you're going to really eat the fish and they are within the limits, then go ahead and keep them regardless of season.

BUT keep only what you will consume and if you're going to be out there every week for the next 8 weeks don't go packin the freezer for winter in May! You are going ot catch plenty more fish before the winter comes.

Every fish we catch has some sort of resurgence in the fall, even the weakies. So let's fill freezers at the end of the season rather than the beginning. What goes in in May will probably get thrown out in January anyway. What goes in in Sept has a much better chance of being consumed.

And let's be realistic about how much fish we actually eat. And how much of what we give away gets eaten as well.

If you really think about it, a limit of bass (one big one slot) will feed a family of 4 easily once maybe twice. So unless you're going to eat fish once a week why go out and kill a limit every Saturday?

Simple enough, take what you will comsume and only what you will consume. If everyone did this they would keep a whole lot less fish realistically. Many would still catch and keep allot, and that would be OK, but guys like me who eat fish once a month and do this for fun would kill allot less.

Spring is a good time to fish, there are allto of things biting well, but it is not time to stock the freezer in IMHO.

If you're going to kill something be sure to put it to good use. That's what it was put here for. Not so you can fill a freezer and throw it away later.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Originally posted by Bob ECT:
I only keep 1 fish in the spring. If possible one that is clearly spawned out, or something under 30 inches.
You better hurry up and get that boat in the water so you can catch that one fish before Springs over :D

I don't condone the taking of pre-spawn fish either. I only kill a Drum or two a Spring, I don't start to fish for Bass until the post Spawn in the Rips at night, nevertheless, I rarely keep these large fish either, I got fluke and tog by then. I stock my freezer w/ bass for the winter with fish I catch in the fall, and usually still have some leftover at this time, so i won't kill anymore even if i did fish for them in the early spring.

·
Registered
31,457 Posts
Striper season never ends, they're here all year. I usually pick one up on the out for a mid summer tuna trip to avoid getting skunked.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I have the same feeling, hit me one year while catching some nice weakies early spring, full of eggs :( .... now this was me, out maybe 5 times tops for spring weakies, (yeah right, maybe 2 times) kept maybe 5-8 fish total. (it's quality, not quantity that's what I tell myself at least
) (90/10 10/90 rule)
Now.....think of the boats that are out there daily taken limits.............

I have no problem humoring a shut down and daily take during breading seasons, C&R only as in the rivers at this time, government subsidise the boats out there making a living during these times, farmers get it when there is a surplus of produce or lack of it....but this takes our money to make this happen, who would give this up without a fight.

this shut down could be similar like during hunting, you can take a male during these times, but not a female. 99% of the time I can't tell a male fish from a female...and don't anyone tell me how LOL

IMO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts