BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im Trying to decide on a good quality reel.Something I can use for Stripers ,drum, tog and big deep water fluke?Im looking at the Tekota by Shimano and a callcutta 700.I was going to go with an Avet but without a level wind I dont think its worth the cost.Any feedback would help.I have A 965 and 975 from Penn but for some reason I feel the need to spend some hard earned money because you know we could always use another set up right? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I LOVE MY CALCUTTA/S
I HAVE 4 700
AND 3 400
HAVE ONLY HAD ONE PROB WITH THE OLDEST 700 NEEDED A NEW GEAR. BUT I FISHED IT HARD FOR 5 YRS.
ABU ALLSO MAKES SOME GOOD STUFF IN LEVER WIND AND HAVE A FASTER RETREVE.
BUT MAY NOT HAVE THE LINE CAPASITY YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Seems like those Penns should do ya- but like you said "always can use another set up". I've seen $39.95 combos(rod and reel) beat up on the stripers. I guess I'm like you though- I do prefer quality equipment.
Harris

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Frank, those Tekotas are sweet reels. They seem solid with a lot of power! I've seen them in action on tog, fluke, stripers, and big Delaware Bay drum on my boat. Between the two you mentioned, that would be my choice. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Havent used it yet, but I picked up a Shimano Charter Special 1000 over the winter that I plan on using for stripers annd deep water fluke. I've heard good things about this reel and didnt break the bank at $120.

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
Santa clause(me) bought my brother(glennexit13) a Tekota 800 for christmas, I can't wait to use that thing, it is a beast!!! it is matched to a shimano I forget the name of the rod but its beefy!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Adam sounds like a good choice. Im pretty confident you can put me on some bruisers this spring.Mabey Ill christen it on the Adam Bomb III.I was thinking of the 600.Do you think I should go bigger? I will probibly be using braided line for the most part I know they make a 700 and 800.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I 2nd getting a Shimano Charter Special either 1000 or 2000. Sweet reels and cam take abuse.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Picked up a Tekota this winter at one of the shows and bought it. Feels real nice and solid.
Gonna require extensive testing! :D

·
Registered
31,457 Posts
I'd go with the Tekota. The Calcutta 700's a physically big, wide reels for the amount of line they hold and drag strength. Especially for deepwater fluking where you doing some cranking you'll be happier with the Tekota.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Yeah, the Tekota seems like a real solid piece of machinery...

I'd get another smaller one if they only made the sunsb!tches lefty.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts