BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy two or three rod/reels in the near future for live bait (bunker, spot, eels) and chunking.

I am looking for solid, dependable stuff - nothing overtly high tech or fancy - workhorse stuff.

My short list is a Shimano TLD 15 lever drag reel and a 7 foot Shakespear BWS1102-7 boat rod rated for 1-6 oz and 20-50 pound line.

Please give me comments and suggestions/alternatives.

Plan to fish the Shrews Rocks, near the rock jetties by Barnegat and Manaquan inlets, The supports for the Seaside pier, etc....

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Lamiglas Tri-Flex Rods BL7030C with Avet MXL reels. Filled with 50lb power pro. I use this set up all the time.

A work horse set up.:eek:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I like my Penn 975ld matched with a St. Croix tidemaster for every thing from chunking the bay to live baiting the rips, even light inshore trolling duty. When the fish get a little smaller in the rips, I'll down size to a spinner.

·
Registered
871 Posts
We offer a few live bait rods. They are 15-30's and also 15-40's. We even have 20-40's.

I personally use the 15-40 for chunking and live herring and bunker. These rods are light enough in the tip to feel the slightest tap and strong enough in the butt to pull in those slobs. They are moderately priced as well. Shoot us an email and we will work on the price for ya. BTW...we are also Avet dealers, we could even do a combo for a sweet price.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I use a Loomis Muskie rod and an Accurate 870. I used a Shimano Charter Special for years with no complaints at all. The TLD will serve you wll.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Star rods

suicide sam said:
I use a star plasma rod rated 15-30

Those plasma rods are out of this world. You can't believe the sensitivity. For a less expensive, but still great rod, try the Star Handcrafted. We use B17/22hc for bass with torium 14's and B20/307hc with tld 15's for drum and inshore trolling.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Probably not a popular set up with avid fisherman, but I picked up an Abu Garcia 6000 and put her on a 6'6" Ugly Stick yesterday and the set up feels really nice. The best part is that it cost under $100.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Special-K said:
I am looking to buy two or three rod/reels in the near future for live bait (bunker, spot, eels) and chunking.

I am looking for solid, dependable stuff - nothing overtly high tech or fancy - workhorse stuff.

My short list is a Shimano TLD 15 lever drag reel and a 7 foot Shakespear BWS1102-7 boat rod rated for 1-6 oz and 20-50 pound line.

Please give me comments and suggestions/alternatives.

Plan to fish the Shrews Rocks, near the rock jetties by Barnegat and Manaquan inlets, The supports for the Seaside pier, etc....

Thanks,
Scott
It seems to me that the combo listed is a good all around "workhorse" type of setup. If you wanted to go a little smaller Penn 320 reel or the shimano charter special 2000. I think the TLD 15 will be more versatile for you.

I also like the Ugly Stick Tiger rods...BWC2201
and the ugly stick custom with the slick butt.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Get some abu garcia 6500's and a Fenwick HMX's. You'll love the sensitivity of the fenwick. Throw some braided on the Abu and a power handle and it'll be an awesome combo that won't break the bank and be top quality.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
mrfritz44 said:
Probably not a popular set up with avid fisherman, but I picked up an Abu Garcia 6000 and put her on a 6'6" Ugly Stick yesterday and the set up feels really nice. The best part is that it cost under $100.
thats my all around favorite set-up cept i got the 7' on stead of the 6'6, and the 6500

1 - 13 of 13 Posts