BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what your recommendation would be for a conventional setup specifically for livelining large baits such as adult bunker and herring off jetties. I prefer a level-wind left-handed retrieve conventional and an 8' rod. I currently have a Penn 321gti levelwind. I was thinking a St. Croix Tidemaster 8' heavy power fast action rated for 12-25lb line. First, will the penn reel i have (20lb class reel) match up with that rod ok? If not, what would you recommendation for a rod and reel specifically for this purpose. I will not be using this rod for casting lures and what have you, just simply hooking a live bait and lobbing it off a jetty... thanks..

·
Registered
27 Posts
i would save the feel of the st croix for throwing lures. you could use something cheaper for throwing big baits.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
You might wanna opt for a heavier rod, 40lb class should get you started, adult bunker can tug quite a bit...you want a rod that will be able to let you decide where you want them to swim...Plus, chances of hooking a LARGE are good, strong currents, rocks, waves etc...you gotta have a ballzy rod.... Rod length is really personal preference..8 ft is fine, 9ft ok too, 10ft might come in hand if you have to cast a mile to snag a bunker...Your reel selection sounds fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts