BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on Nicky L's post about surf reel choices, for those who use conventionals, what sticks for lures and what sticks for bait?

No Takers on this post? I imagine its because most people use spinning outfits and casting conventionals from the surf is a lost art. I'm on a mission to bring it back. I know this much... It'll take some getting used to but once I master the conventional cast, I believe I'll be adding 50-100 yds to my spinning cast. Who agrees or disagrees?

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I still use conventionals on the surf mostly for throwing bait, I do use them for plugging once in a while but usually only to throw heavier metals or big bucktails with them. I don't know if it will add distance to casting your spinning outfits unless you are doing something wrong the way you are casting now. In my opinion the most important factors in casting either conventional or spinning gear is to have a rod heavy enough to handle the weight you are casting and a reel that is designed for casting. On my conventional oufits I use 20lb mono and a shock leader about 15ft long of 40 lb mono Some guys will disagree with this but I do not like braid on conventionals because when you get the inevitable backlash with braid it is really, really hard to get out especially at night

·
Registered
104 Posts
to throw metal, bucktails and most lures i use a 9 foot tica with a abu garcia 5500c3 and for bait i throw a 12 foot diawa with a penn 525 mag. both set ups cast a mile and are really tough, but mistakes do happen and when they do its usually catastrophic. I always have a full spool of line in the truck and have no problem re spooling on the beach. I think out of all my fishing last year i had to re spool the penn 2 times and the abu just had some minor nests. most my problems happen with the penn when throwing 8 oz+.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
to throw metal, bucktails and most lures i use a 9 foot tica with a abu garcia 5500c3 and for bait i throw a 12 foot diawa with a penn 525 mag. both set ups cast a mile and are really tough, but mistakes do happen and when they do its usually catastrophic. I always have a full spool of line in the truck and have no problem re spooling on the beach. I think out of all my fishing last year i had to re spool the penn 2 times and the abu just had some minor nests. most my problems happen with the penn when throwing 8 oz+.
I throw the same penn mag on an 11.5' st croix. Yes I do get a birds nest occasionally but I seem to be Getting better. I can get out much farther than with my spinning rod so it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
daiwa sealine on a 12' tica graphite. bait only. spring/summer night chunking. any other time im throwing artificials with a spinner.

·
Registered
259 Posts
12' Diawa Emcast with my trusty 140 Squidder,for bait, may not be the must efficient or pretty but I like old school. The squidder was my fathers and he's with me on every cast.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Glad you got some action with this post Nicky.

There are many fisherman dedicated to conventionals and to spinners. It seems like it is based upon geography. New Englanders love their conventionals as do many on the OBX. The people dedicated to distance casting in a field are largely conventionals. IMHO, it seems that ultimately a conventional will cause some heartache, it is just a question of how much.

I bought an 11' spinning CCP from Tommy in hope of improving my distance. I will try it with a conventional reel to see what difference I can get from it and how much patience I have with the learning curve. I always have the option to use a spinner instead. Good luck.
John

·
Registered
395 Posts
why would you link another fishing website here on this website

i think that is a no-no and pretty tasteless
You gotta be kidding right.
It is a link to share information which is directly on point.
I am not selling anything.
I invite you to show me where it is "a no-no".

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Having had no takers to my OP, I took it to google and then Stripers OnLine.
They have a distance forum dedicated to this issue.
This particular thread has had a lot of activity over the last 2 years with some people who really know chiming in (ex. Tommy Farmer of Carolina Cast Pro).

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/750074/submission

These guys get 700 to 800 feet with conventionals and long sticks in the field. You should check out Tommy CCP's casting videos on YouTube.com

There are many fisherman dedicated to conventionals and to spinners. It seems like it is based upon geography. New Englanders love their conventionals as do many on the OBX. The people dedicated to distance casting in a field are largely conventionals. IMHO, it seems that ultimately a conventional will cause some heartache, it is just a question of how much.

I bought an 11' spinning CCP from Tommy in hope of improving my distance. I will try it with a conventional reel to see what difference I can get from it and how much patience I have with the learning curve. I always have the option to use a spinner instead. Good luck.
John
Keep in mind all the conventionals in those competitions are throwing mono only; braided line is prohibited-- which is what makes it suck for spinners:(.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Keep in mind all the conventionals in those competitions are throwing mono only; braided line is prohibited-- which is what makes it suck for spinners:(.
Sure. They also feather out their casts and mess with the reel settings while the line is flying to keep it "perfect". Can't do that with a spinner either.
Conventional casting looks like real artwork when done correctly, but that learning curve looks huge.

What do you use Homer?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I use a Breakway 11'9" for bait. I have a few plugging sticks for the Blue Yonder and HS-15, with the American Tackle Viper being my favorite.

But......I have been playing with these dam Bushido Popping blanks at the beach and the park and I cant believe how well they are throwing. The 8'6" 200g and the 7'6" 125g are launching 3ozs like its a bullet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I remember going to the Vet back in high school and either during the 7th inning stretch or maybe before the game a few long distance casters showed their stuff. 350' or whatever it was, wasn't nearly enough space. Take a good look at the distance casters setup of today--the butt end of the rod is real short and the rods a lot longer then most of us use.

I think there's a certain romantics' involved with conventionals. I have several which make the rotation, sentimental value as some belong to my Dad-- but if I really need to get out far I'm still more comfortable with the spinner. Having said that I'm planning on purchasing a Penn Squall before the spring run:thumbsup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, Im very intrigued by the Penn Squall also. On the other hand, Ive never been a Daiwa guy but their conventionals are quite sharp as well... Looking into the Saltist STTLD 20 or 30... But its prob way too much for the surf and more designed to get your baits down deep for bottom fishing.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

Well-said, seeker....
It's becoming a lost art in NJ. thanks for trying to promote interest, Nicky...:thumbsup:

If you are able to do a search,,,contact JimmyZ in Ct, or Surfplug from LI (Surfplug is also a member here) and read some of their posts. Without trying to sound condescending, when guys start catching bigger fish, consistently, a lot of them graduate to conventionals. If you are fighting big fish in current such as a canal, inlet, river or rips (30-40lbs) the use of a conventional will allow you better control of that fish, and, if you are releasing her, will allow you to get her in without killing her...

I know a lot of guys pride themselves on catching big fish, but as for consistency the 2 guys above have probably caught more big girls at night, than many will see in a lifetime of blitz fishing....

Also, when bucktailing, or eeling from land, nothing gives you more control than a conventional...as you mentioned, Seeker, a lot of guys in NJ seem to have lost interest in bucktailing...when in fact it's one of the most effective early and late season cold water presentations, and will get fish to hit when many others come up empty handed....

In fact a guy I know nailed 2 fish last night when others were out there claiming the fish had shut off...what was he using...bucktail....:)

Nicky, if you need to get in touch with Jimmy or Surfplug, feel free to contact me privately, I have their contact info....

Thanks again for trying to promote interest in something that many guys would rather abandon, because to them, it's a lot easier to use a spinning setup....

The evolution of a surf fisherman allows one to realize that there are different things that work best for different times....

I got some nice 20-25lb bass this fall on big shads,,,there is no way a spinning setup would have been able to lob those out and control the fish I got in the current...food for thought, guys.....:wave:

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Sure. They also feather out their casts and mess with the reel settings while the line is flying to keep it "perfect". Can't do that with a spinner either.
Conventional casting looks like real artwork when done correctly, but that learning curve looks huge.

What do you use Homer?
All spinners and braid for surf; i have a couple left handed conventionals for boats...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Fish both Conventials & spinners Conventionals mostly for Bait. Just have not found a lure heavy enough for the conventional to throw for the long stick Would love to try though.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
You gotta be kidding right.
It is a link to share information which is directly on point.
I am not selling anything.
I invite you to show me where it is "a no-no".

Please be so kind as to not post links to other fishing websites.

Thank you,

Russ

1 - 20 of 51 Posts