BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have good information regarding SVO (straight Vegetable Oil) feasibility in marine diesel engines? It seems to me that with the right modifications (tank/heater/injector/filter) this should be an option for the marine industry in the very near future. At $350/ 400,000 MT of palm oil, marinas should be looking into this for the future security of this industry. With a single tank system, and some initial capital in modifications these engines should be able to operate on SVO, Diesel, and Biodiesel.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Great idea, but...

Sounds good in theory, really good. But try and get the major diesel engine manufacturers to buy into the idea. If ya put that stuff in your motors, it would kill any type of warranty. Once ya start modifying stuff on the motors, the manufacturers would never entertain any of your problems. Might be a fantastic idea to use on some older motors that warranty isn't an issue. Joe/Dave

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It's a great question, and I would look to trucking industry news sources for stories of other champions of this all-too-common fuel source.

Did you call any of the producers / distributors yet? They have a significant interest in you using / promoting the fuel.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I know a kid who has a car that runs on veg. oil and he fixes people engines so they run on them as well. Gets 50 miles a gallon!, just needs to add $20 in diesel a month to get it started. Would assume it would work the same on boat motors right? Better mileage, cleaner, cheaper?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Team Mayhem said:
I know a kid who has a car that runs on veg. oil and he fixes people engines so they run on them as well. Gets 50 miles a gallon!, just needs to add $20 in diesel a month to get it started. Would assume it would work the same on boat motors right? Better mileage, cleaner, cheaper?
sure would make sense why not right?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Maybe ill get more fish if my exhaust smells like tacos :p

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
chum slick :D

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I think you can adjust the injectors on the older diesels to run it without causing too many problems. It would not be a good idea to run SVO in the newer electronic motors. Biodiesel is a better alternative which is just processed veggie oil. I wouldnt run any "home brew" through my motors until the warranty is up. My truck warranty is up in 4k miles and if I can find a place to start cranking out biodiesel I will. If I had an old Benz or VW I would experiement with SVO in there.

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
What fish will it raise when the exhaust smells like a fat frier.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I was on an excursion boat on the Napoli coastl, Kauai and it ran twin yanmar diesels totally on vegatable oil, 100%. They got this from various kitchens, resturants, etc and filtered it before burning. I can't tell you what was done to run this, but I asked the Captain and he said, "not much." He also said that collecting and filtering the vegetable oil was not inexpensive. Of course at that time diesel was a fraction of today's cost. This tour outfit was very "Green" and they advertised that their boats used all recycled fuel. Oil way you could tell they weren't running petroleum diesel was that the exhaust did smell a little like french fries. One other thought, vegetable oil will get thick with cold temps so I would suspect that up here we would need some kind of additive to keep it from getting thick. Diesel does the same thing at low temps.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Bio Diesel

I looked into this and I don't think we are ready for this in boating at this time. First filters must be replaced moreoften they don't have any antigell chemicals for bio that I know about. Also I talked to a guy down the shore who builds bio plants and he is in the process of replaceing the powerstroke in his 2006 Ford that they would not warrent after he converted it over. You will need to install heating elements in the tanks and if you ever did get boundup out on the water you would never get going again. Bio is in our future but right now it's not cost affefctive.

·
Registered
324 Posts
im sure the technology is there but do you really think the oil companies want us to switch?
its going to be a while
you know darn well they control everything including the pace of technology

it must be nice smelling french fries over diesel exhaust on those long rides though

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have to aggree with NBIJOHN, I was on the same boat in Hawaii. they used recycled cooking oil from the resturants. I spoke to the captain about it and that was over 8 years ago The first diesel engine was designed and was fueled by peanut oil by Mr.Diesel(an German Invnventor)! It seems the more we try to get away from Big Oil, they counter act and cut production to drive prices.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Try this site for info. I locked in on bio home heating oil through this site at $2.67 last fall. They show all the places alternative fuels are available and the specifics of using them. I would love to use biodiesel in my boat, it is safer, better for the enviroment, made in the USA and more efficient, but my marina does not carry it.
www.theenergyco-op.com/biodieseldistribution.htm

·
Registered
32,305 Posts
How difficult would it be to find hundreds of gallons per trip? If a couple of guys in your marina went this route, would you have to race them to the local restaurants to grab a few gallons at each stop before they got it first?

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I gotta a couple older diesel mercedes....wondering what all i need to do to make it run on vegetable oil...I also got a couple buddies that work in the restraunt business, so it wouldnt be all that hard to find used oil....got the light bulb going now:confused:

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
The problem with running svo is that the oil needs to be not only cleaned, but, heated before it will combust. That requires you to start the motor on conventional diesel , then, switch fuel supplies while the engine is running and the veggie oil is at the right temp. That means two sets of tanks, filters , solenoids, fuel lines, heater circuts or heat exchangers and much more. The more complicated your fuel system gets, the greater the risk of problems. Biodiesel is a better alternative if it is reacted and formulated properly. However, you have to be careful as to what type of base is used in the production of the biodiesel. We have made good biodiesel from everything from filthy old fry oil, to almost virgin palm oil. Each base has it's own share of problems. For instance, the palm oil made the best looking biodiesel , but, would want to gel at temps as high as 75 degrees, summer blend only. :)

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Capt. Craig Angelini said:
Does any one have good information regarding SVO (straight Vegetable Oil) feasibility in marine diesel engines? It seems to me that with the right modifications (tank/heater/injector/filter) this should be an option for the marine industry in the very near future. At $350/ 400,000 MT of palm oil, marinas should be looking into this for the future security of this industry. With a single tank system, and some initial capital in modifications these engines should be able to operate on SVO, Diesel, and Biodiesel.
Just don't use palm oil. The creation of plantations for supplying palm oil is causing environmental devastation, including widespread deforestation and disturbance of peat in the ground, both of which substatially increases geenhouse gases and worsens global warming.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts