BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to add a second axle to a trailer to make it a dual axle? Reason i ask is that i have a 21' sea pro, on a single axle trailer. While it is a heavy rated single axle, I do trailer often, and would feel more comfortable in a dual axle.
The trailer is a 2008. Worst case scenario is i sell it and get a dual axle, but i wanted to see if this was an option.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Is it possible to add a second axle to a trailer to make it a dual axle? Reason i ask is that i have a 21' sea pro, on a single axle trailer. While it is a heavy rated single axle, I do trailer often, and would feel more comfortable in a dual axle.
The trailer is a 2008. Worst case scenario is i sell it and get a dual axle, but i wanted to see if this was an option.
It is an option, but honestly it is easier and probably cheaper to sell yours and buy a dual axle.

Some things to consider for conversion:
Hardware cost of New Axle/Tires/Wheels.
Hardware cost of Braking system for addtional axle.
Labor cost to install new components...

I would guess your atleast 1000.00 to do the upgrade, possibly more.

Say you can get 1800.00 for you trailer, For 2800 you can get a dual axle trailer to handle a 21ft boat....

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx AJ,,yea, i'm just weighing my options. Labor is not a problem. I've changed axles before, but if its not cost effective, then its not an option.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Thanx AJ,,yea, i'm just weighing my options. Labor is not a problem. I've changed axles before, but if its not cost effective, then its not an option.
What size axle does your trailer have now? What brakes? You can then call a trailer place and see what parts cost....

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a Sea Lion. I'll need to check the model #, but its the heaviest single axle that they make. With that said, when i total my weights up, its to dam close. Might even excede weight when i have a full load of fuel. I didnt even add in misc. gear and such.
I'll look when i get home, but i think the trailer was weighted to 3750.
No brakes on trailer.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Its a Sea Lion. I'll need to check the model #, but its the heaviest single axle that they make. With that said, when i total my weights up, its to dam close. Might even excede weight when i have a full load of fuel. I didnt even add in misc. gear and such.
I'll look when i get home, but i think the trailer was weighted to 3750.
No brakes on trailer.
Aren't brakes required by law in NJ on trailers over a certain weight class?

You will love the dual axle trailer, rides so much better than a single.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Just thinking out loud here. Assume your current axel is rated 3600 lbs. I would think you want to add a like axel, another 3600 lbs. Won't that be too stiff for your boat and give a hard ride? OR is it the springs that determine the weight class?
If that theory holds water then you should replace your current axel and get two 2500 lb axels for a weight capacity of 5000lbs.

I really have no clue what I'm talking about.
I have a tandem under my MayCraft and love it. Aluminum, torsion axels, brakes, led. I trailer 100% which is why I went tandem.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just thinking out loud here. Assume your current axel is rated 3600 lbs. I would think you want to add a like axel, another 3600 lbs. Won't that be too stiff for your boat and give a hard ride? OR is it the springs that determine the weight class?
If that theory holds water then you should replace your current axel and get two 2500 lb axels for a weight capacity of 5000lbs.

I have a tandem under my MayCraft and love it. Aluminum, torsion axels, brakes, led. I trailer 100% which is why I went tandem.
All good questions. Thank you:thumbsup:
My plan is to be 100% trailerable. I stick and move to much to slip her.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts

Good Points... one more thought. If you jump up in capacity you might need to go to a larger capacity ball/coupler

·
Registered
572 Posts
I run the heaviest Load rite with a single axle. I swapped drums for disks and it has been reliable for me. Just remember less is best. It will have cheaper up keep over a tandem axle in the long run. 2 tires, 2 Brakes and 2 spring packs to replace.:thumbsup: Another plus for the single axle is cheaper tolls if you use toll roads .

·
Registered
296 Posts
All good questions. Thank you:thumbsup:
My plan is to be 100% trailerable. I stick and move to much to slip her.
eelball, I have a dual axel setup just layin around. I would let go of it for $500. It has brakes, dual axles and springs and hangers all included. I am the same way, I want my sh!t 100% trailerable. I like to fish the DR, DB, Brig, CMP and some other of my spots. Let me know if you are interested in the axles.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
eelball, I have a dual axel setup just layin around. I would let go of it for $500. It has brakes, dual axles and springs and hangers all included. I am the same way, I want my sh!t 100% trailerable. I like to fish the DR, DB, Brig, CMP and some other of my spots. Let me know if you are interested in the axles.:thumbsup:
very interested!! I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is what i have.
SeaLion model SE-21-3100

My boat is 2200, motor about 500, and 80 gal fuel.
That already puts me about 150 lbs over.:(

·
Registered
133 Posts
You can do whatever you want to or whatever your wallet will support but I would reccomend against it. You can't just stick another axle and pair of springs under it and go down the road. The axle that's there still need to be moved to adjust for the center of gravity of the trailer so that the axles load evenly.You also need to add an equalizer between the two springs to keep them working together or you can break something on uneven ground when one axle takes all the weight. You are better off selling the trailer and buying a double axle but if you decide against it you should look at Timbren suspension systems. They have a nice set-up that uses rubber load cushions instead of leaf springs that would be a good retrofit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts