BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a set. Drill, circular saw etc, What brand do you think is best and what type battery?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I've had the Ryobi cordless for a few years now and they do the job just fine. I know they have just come out with a new lithium series that have more torque. My buddy had the same as me and didn't like them that much. He now uses DeWalt and is very satisfyied. Not sure what your applications will be. If your an occasional user get the Ryobi and if your not get the DeWalt they are bulletproof but expensive.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My intended use is home handyman and occasional construction use framing etc where there is no electric available. So battery life and tool durability are important.

·
Registered
14,484 Posts
I have Ryobi 18 Volt and Dewalt 18 Volt if you want the power go with Dewalt but around the house and some heavy building projects go with Ryobi and they are much cheeper.And you could always look at the 24 Volt setups.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
MEANMACHINE said:
I'm thinking of buying a set. Drill, circular saw etc, What brand do you think is best and what type battery?
Too many get sucked into thinking they need Milwaukee quality for home use. Most times the home user that uses these tools three times a year couldn't wear out the cheapest junk on the market in 25yrs if you take care of it. Then there's the other school that says you only need to buy a good tool once. Usually you can tell if a powertool has any guts as soon as you pick it up. If it's feel light and cheesy the first time you pick it up more than likely it's junk.

Believe it or not I haven't had bit of trouble with the junk Harborfrieght sells. Some of that Chicago Electric stuff isn't bad and those 8 set blue handled screwdrivers I'd put up against Snap-On's any day of the week..for the price of one Snap-On screwdriver. For bilge/boat tools they can't be beat..

·
Registered
863 Posts
Dunk is right. If it's something you are going to use everyday, go to Homey Depot, or Lowes, and get the brand name. But if it's going to be something you are going to use on weekends, I'd get the Harbor Frieght and get what they have. Joe

·
Registered
624 Posts
My pref. is only drill Dewalt in cordless, all other toys 110 or 220 or air. Get the generator if no power around, you can get decent use one. Lots of my tools I got on fleamarket or garage sales. So far got every penny back out of them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Don't ask me why I own so many cordless drills...I'm not a contractor and I don't have gobs of money to throw around. I own 6 cordless drills...makita,dewalt, craftsmen, bosch,ryobi My hands down favorite and go to drill is my 12volt black and decker articulated drill I bought in a kit for 40 dollars at Lowes ( Home Depot don't carry them). I liked it so much I bought another on clearance just for the boat. :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
I go thru a lot of power tools and have found the sets don't contain the top of the line tools. Even if they look the same , its a cheaper chuck or some thing. MartyD

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
got the ryobi combo kit 18volt

2 years so far so good the only complaint was the circular saw broke (shield came off ) i dont use that to worry about it

the drill screwgun works great

·
Registered
169 Posts
bought rigid 18v 2 years ago when we bought the house, have had no problems at all, if money is no issue i would buy dewalt, but i will put my rigid up against dewalt anyday

·
Registered
648 Posts
I work for my uncle who is a general contractor. Have all types of tools. Dewalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Skil, etc.

But for cordless - we like the Milwaukee battery system. It slides onto the tool and the contacts seem to "bite" better. Rigid is another brand with a similar battery system, but we use mostly Milwaukee cordless.

Brands such as the Dewalt are great, but the battery "pops" into the tool. We found the contacts on the battery/drill wearing quicker.

Just some food for thought. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Don't get sucked into the voltage thing. I stay with 12 volt. The battery packs weight a ton on the larger models and the cost to replace the larger packs come close to the price of a tool. I never used a cordless circular saw so I don't know about the power but even 9 volt drills will strip a screw out just as fast as a 18 volt. I use Dewalt and have never had a problem with it doing what I asked of it. I remove well over a 1000 screws a year from aircraft panels and those big Battery's get heavy. Many of the guys I work with are now going to the little 6 volt geared drills no clutch for screw removal so they can slip it in there pockets.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Dewalt is good....I have the Craftsman 19.2 C3 cordless tools and they work great. You can either buy a set or just the tools you need.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I went and got the ryobi kit at home depote 4 years ago. the batterys and charger are now dead - to replace these items will cost me @$130 when the kit was $199 . they suck. I hardly ever use tools except the drill any of you guys need back up ryobi stuuf other than battery and charger let me know:confused:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I agree with Fin the Ryobi is one of the worst tools I have bought. I have the combo and the batteries won't charge anymore. Dewalt, and u won't be sorry.:)

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I have a DeWalt 14v drill and a full set of Milwaukee 18v, drill, sawzall, circular.
Milwaukee has been much better than the DeWalt.
The Milwaukee came with my new Ford truck back in 2004.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts