BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been there, we just rented a property there in September and would appreciate any tips and tricks. We're traveling in a Tacoma and have spent many years driving the beaches in OBX, have all of the tools and airdown valves so I'm looking for fishing advice and stuff to bring so I don't need to drive back to town. I can't wait, we are due for a nice relaxing vacation and OBX has always been the place for that, we've done all of the tourist stuff at least twice.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Never stayed up that far, we used to go to Corolla every summer, the entire family (4 full families) rented one of those huge houses right on the beach. But as the kids grew and there was more an more scheduling issues we stopped going. Kids loved to go to the lighthouse and stuff, and we would crab off the docks and bridge at the light house marina. Was a great get together for the family and all the kids when they were little tots.

But the best crabbing I ever experienced was down there was down by Manteo, just across the bridge on the Manteo side off route 64 there was a public ramp with a huge dock and bulkhead. We were scooping huge jimmies right off the bulkhead and docks with no bait. They were spawning and you would scoop up a big *** Jimmie on a little female, throw her back in right where we caught her move along, come back another Jimmie on her back. Rinse repeat! With in a couple house we had a full bushel. Was the best damn meal we had!

Haven't been back down there at least 5 or 6 years now, and the kids still talk about the Outer Banks. Nowadays we go up north to Cape Cod for a week with some family, heading up there the first week of August.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'll have to make a list of what to bring because the house is about a 10 mile drive up the beach from Corolla and don't want to drive back for something we forgot. I've never heard that fishing was great up there but it doesn't matter because I can sit at Diamond Shoals and catch nothing. Story of my life is "You should have been here yesterday," and I'm ok with that. Should be a great trip as long as we don't get hurricaned, always a threat in September but we have insurance that will pay for a warning, not just an evacuation, we can get out before an evacuation order which I like, the realtor has a policy which will only reimburse for an actual evacuation.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I had a place in Swan Beach. Loved it down there but the drive from Pa. Was too much. We caught everything down there. Shark fishing at night was great. Don’t get drunk and try to ride a wild horse. I’ve still got a scar. 😁

·
Banned
6,885 Posts
I had a place in Swan Beach. Loved it down there but the drive from Pa. Was too much. We caught everything down there. Shark fishing at night was great. Don’t get drunk and try to ride a wild horse. I’ve still got a scar. 😁
Are the horses there year round? I used to take a trip to assateague every fall. They would swim the horses there and back twice a year I was told. I guess for food and wild breeding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live across the sound but head out there by boat most weekends. Fishing is really hit or miss, some bunker/mackerel chunks, sand fleas, fish bites are mostly decent bets. Watch the waves and the rip currents, lots of folks being airlifted out this year, storms have brought serious currents. If you’re real lucky you’ll get a sandbar past the breakers and a nice little trough to fish.
Where u guys staying at? The northern point is where I’ve been hearing the best reports lately.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We're staying pretty far north almost to the Virgina line, we have a Highlander that has 4WD and gets way better milage and is more comfortable for long trips, but I think I'm going to stick with the Taco, never had a problem on the beach except when I forgot to engage the 4 high in Buxton. I stopped and when I went to leave the wheels started to spin, I immediately stopped and got out, then the lightbulb came on!!! DOH!! I have Trailblazer deflators and have to clean and test them, haven't been used in a while. I'm going to set them to 15# we'll be going in pretty heavy with all of our needs for the week, I think they're currently set for 18#.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Countdown started, leaving Saturday!!! We can't wait, first real vacation in over 2 years due to family concerns. It also is our 10th anniversary on the 15th so I'll have to figure that out, no fancy restaurants up there. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We're here, awesome place, caught my first red drum yesterday on an ultralight with fish bites, bait in the water for 10 minutes, then nothing for the rest of the day. I have fresh mullet for today, hopefully a keeper. Horses in the back yard this morning, left us a present.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts