BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going over the toll bridge at low tide today and looked at that little island to the south. A fox was wandering about. Pulled over and glassed him for about fifteen minutes. Middle of the day right out on the low tide sand. Must be pretty hungry. Wonder if they make it over to the Deauville's trash cans?

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
a fox ate someones weakfish this past year, but i cant remember who it was, he was really pi!!ed off

·
Registered
747 Posts
Foxes are all over Briganteen. I have seen them in the middle of the day be in the middle of a beach block neighborhood. One day when going to Briganteen beach, I observed and immediately identified a fox sitting on the corner near the 4x4 beach entrance. My friends thought it was a dog. I knew it was a fox and upon getting closer the others were amazed. My amazement was how at home the fox felt even with several people across the street. I have even seen them walk near people on the beach.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
PRO, been there, done that. Fishin up the beach there, the fox would just come out and steal your bait or fish if ya give em a chance.Feed em outa your hand!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Illegal to feed them surf boy!
:D Just kidding. I can verify... I was with OTH when they were stealing our bait and kingfish at Brigantine north end beach. ;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Originally posted by CSStriper:
a fox ate someones weakfish this past year, but i cant remember who it was, he was really pi!!ed off
If you have fish on a stringer at corsons and you are not it or not watching it the foxes will try to steal them. When we used to do good there at night not in the last few years at least for myself and some of my friends we used to throw them a sacrificial fish to keep them busy. It worked for a short while but there are too many fish loving foxes. Island beach is loaded with foxes. I have seen them walking around in the daytime waiting for food from visitors. Have a nice pic of a couple somewhere. It's getting harder to find a decent spot to live for some animals with all the development going on.
Mike

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
There's a fox that runs all over the island of fortescue. Runs with some of the local dogs too. I saw the fox and a lab checking out the trash cans by the docks one morning. They stayed together. Comes pretty close to ya too. I don't know if its true or not but I heard they trapped it and gave it rabie shots then released him back on the island. I think hes been named also but didn't catch what it was.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That fox and a few more I think have been around Corsons for a while now. I got a digital camera/binocular for Christmas, if he's around in the spring I'll get a pict of him.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Esox1, There is one that lives in the old city dump, back on 3rd street. There could be more. It probably wanders Ludlam's banks from there.

[ 01-26-2005, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: captbill35 ]

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Capt. this one was near the second old railroad bridge. Last year I saw a smallgame hunter not far from that area. Probably hunting rabbits. Were there are rabbits there probably are animals eating them.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I fed one a herring every morning for a week at marker 317last spring
Seemed like he was waiting for me every morning than he disappeared,guess he lost the appetite for herring and wanted a fresh fish and went to inlet to look for fish stringers

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THEY EAT NEAR THE BEACH THIS TIME OF YEAR.
I can tell you what I think they eat and we
the fishermen get the blame, is:
Pipeing Plover Eggs.....

[ 01-26-2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I have been dealing with Foxes for many years
down at CISP...

Driving down to the Point before Sunrise and
seeing them down along the HighTide Line
then dashing back to the Dunes after seeing me..

I use to feed one of them Live Mullet by the BoatRamp at Night when I would gather some bait..

Last Year A Presistent Fox would try to dig up
my Weakfish buried in the sand everytime I turned
my back.....

Scrawny Looking things, Nothing Like You See
On Animal Plant..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The one I saw the other day had half a winter/ half a summer coat. Not too small but skinny. There used to be a lot of them behind Ventnor and Margate when I was a kid. Last spring I saw a coyote on the parkway around the Avalon golf course area. Big difference between the fox and coyote.

·
Registered
570 Posts
this hasn't anything to do with fox but about a month ago i was walking my dog with my son at cisp and about halfway from the parking lot to the inlet we saw 2 sets of deer tracks coming from out of the water and into the dunes! they must have came from the woods by the parkway, through the meadow, then across ocean drive! been a deer hunter all my life and i know deer tracks when i see them. totally blew my mind. imagine, deer on the beach!!

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I found a buck on the beach once.
i bought a sno-cone with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts