BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any pictures of this place? I'd be interested in seeing some. It was my great-grandfather's boat-rental joint.

Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing. Actually, I guess that big girdered tower is there now. You know, directly across the bay from the Deauville Inn on the other side of the toll bridge.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
it is part of Corson Inlet State Park,only a radio tower is there

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Did you try local historical society?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Was not born untill 53 but do remember some of the old RR Tracks that ran down the ocean side of OD.There were some old pillings that were next to the OD bridge .where the RR bridge went across to Strathmere. Try Sea Isle Historic Museum ,Landis ave SIC. Or pos Ocean city historic Asso, Upper Twp.Is the offical location so maybe they will have something for you.Remember. fishing that area a-lot when I was growing up in Sea Isle. Joe R

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Also try, www.strathmere.net - i just got back from staying at the building that was next to the old train station(which was destroyed in the last big Jersey hurricane in the forties) on Winthrop Street. It is Gus Whitcamp's old place that his daughter then owned up until about twenty years ago. The current owners have keptthe place as original as possible, with the beds, chests and other stuff including old pictures of the Deauville(before it was so named) and the five other buildings that were original to corson's inlet. Also, some pictures of mega-black drum - corson's was considered one of if not the best spot in Jersey for big black drum up until the 60's/70's. Definately the place for anyone interested in staying in places steeped in fishing history.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Oops - both web sites are the same. You can see the house we stayed at in the first picture of huses on the site - it is the house on the left just behind the house near the bay - it is still in strathmere today.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The Strathmere website is excellent, it has so much information and pictures. The pictures from the '62 storm are really interesting. My family was among the last to leave and were actually airlifted off the top of the present day Strathmere tollbridge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts