BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks for the look and your time up there ! Still, I wouldn't go out to the ocean that way in my boat ! Did see 3 or 4 guys go out in the late fall ---- --- but it ain't gonna be me !

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Thanks for the look and your time up there ! Still, I wouldn't go out to the ocean that way in my boat ! Did see 3 or 4 guys go out in the late fall ---- --- but it ain't gonna be me !

Like I do...pick your weather, pick your tide and if the right boat...no big deal...:cool:

Wrong day, wrong boat and you'll wish you played more golf....:D

exp2ex - your plane??? You the pilot??? nice job with the pix...open cockpit...gotta be a man for that one this time of year!!! I was happy when the new USCG helos had some decent heat in them....;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Link to my biplane

Here it is at home at woodbine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BFAYESb35Y

Like I do...pick your weather, pick your tide and if the right boat...no big deal...:cool:

Wrong day, wrong boat and you'll wish you played more golf....:D

exp2ex - your plane??? You the pilot??? nice job with the pix...open cockpit...gotta be a man for that one this time of year!!! I was happy when the new USCG helos had some decent heat in them....;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Great photos........but I don't know about buying the plane (for sale?), but how about the Porsche? Great shots - pretty plane. What can you do about water temp?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
interesting stuff, remember back in 60's the old starfish would steam right out and in the ocean in 8 minutes instead of thru townsends at 45 minutes

thanks for the pics ....good stuff

the beav

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Southeast end

Big green hangars.
Been there 3 months. Used to have a blue and yellow citabria, red starduster and a red white blue mooney at OBI.

Will probably fly in the morning. I just put spades on the lower ailerons and want to try them out.

Also, the porsche is not mine.

Degan

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Excellent pictures. Thank you.

I was looking at the damage on the Sea Isle side a few weeks ago and took many pictures from shore - it is crazy how much land/sand is gone.

I saw several boats go thru and I even saw one anchor up in that channel just outside the breakers 3/4's of the way out.

It would be nice to see these same pictures in June/July of 09.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
11 am 12-2-08 , freezin up there !
That would have been high tide - there's only sand at low tide, barely any water.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
IT was very close to high tide "MY BAD !"

I need to test fly it again after some wing modifications I did this afternoon. Looks like low tide over the next 2 days is 7-8am. Weather permitting I will try to get the same shots after some hot coffee and sporting my snowmobile suit.

Also ther was a pretty good swell yesterday with several people spotted surfing whale beach and the South OC pier. A good dozen were out. Only saw one boat by Whale Creek Marina pulling a pot or something like that out of the water.

Numb fingers fishing, part of life.
Numb fingers flying, OUCH. That will leave a mark.

Degan

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I need to test fly it again after some wing modifications I did this afternoon. Looks like low tide over the next 2 days is 7-8am. Weather permitting I will try to get the same shots after some hot coffee and sporting my snowmobile suit.

Also ther was a pretty good swell yesterday with several people spotted surfing whale beach and the South OC pier. A good dozen were out. Only saw one boat by Whale Creek Marina pulling a pot or something like that out of the water.

Degan
When I flew in the high Arctic and Antarctica...we had to fly in shorty wetsuits under a full 7mm wet suit...plus our survival vests..

TALK ABOUT FEELING LIKE GUMBY!!!!!!!!!

The helicopter doors and windows were open everytime we had to land on the ship when it was in open water...man one day I got pretty good frostbite on my face when it was minus 25 degrees F at the surface.:eek:

Fingers????? You actually CAN use your fingers???? :D I don't think mine ever thawed out from 1983-1986...;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

Degan
Good luck and keep warm if you do go out in the AM for the low tide pictures. I will keep an eye out for them.

Thank you for flying Frosty Airlines...........

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Thank you! From that it looks like the main cut is... no cut at all. Is there an opening through that set of breakers across the mouth?

Does everyone pretty much run south along strathmere?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Thank you! From that it looks like the main cut is... no cut at all. Is there an opening through that set of breakers across the mouth?

Does everyone pretty much run south along strathmere?
Usually that "apparent cut" that you are looking at is usually a big flat that's pretty shallow.

If you look at the pictures and can see the straight shot to the last set of breakers...then the turn south before you hit that outer sandbar...that's been the route in and out for the last 2 years that I have always followed....

The sharp turn right along the beach south is a fools trap....at least from what I have experienced.

Then by the end of the season...there was hardly a way to get from the Strathmere bridge to the deep cut on the OC side....all routes had been cut off from what I saw at low tide....

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Did the cut up against the strathmere bridge and cuaseway to the Rush Chatin get washed out?

Ack, I'd hate heading straight for the breakers and hoping to find a cut to my right. Doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts