BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my three-year-old daughter, aka "the squirrel" out for a drive yesterday to look at boats and some spots. we left margate around 4:00, cruised thru somers point, then hit OC. i decided that it has been a long time since i've driven to strathmere, so with the squirrel's approval, we headed in that direction.

the tide was low, and there were no waves to speak of. the water looked to be super clear, and i couldn't believe how closed off that inlet has become over the winter. i know that it's been pretty choked for a while now, but what i saw yesterday was pretty amazing. we stopped on the bridge, and took a long look. between the bar across the mouth of the inlet, and the giant sandbars inside the inlet itself, i wouldn't take anything more than a flats boat in there. it looks like my kayak could have some real potential over towards the strathmere side, instead of me always heading right to the ICW from the bridge.

here's a picture of the inlet from 2004:

here's one from 2005:

i can't wait to see the 2006 version of this picture.

by the way, if you've never driven down central avenue with a young daughter, you may not have ever noticed that there are over a dozen bright pink houses that line both sides. every time we passed one, she would scream "pink". i couldn't get john cougar's song out of my head all night.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Nice, Very Cool Shots. And Like You I Can't Wait For The Next Version Also. Someday I will be able to wade over to the next town...

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
The inlet will change by Memorial Day...bank on it...

The Winter wind pattern will change to Summer...then the wave pattern will change...and so will the sand bars....

Since the beginning of time...till the end of time....

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I was there Saturday...That is a hairy looking inlet....if thats what you can still call it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is it my imagination, or does the bar in the second picture just outside on the south side look like Moby Dick with his mouth open to gobble up any boats exiting the inlet?

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Doyle.. the Squirrel must have gotten really tall to take those photos!

There used to be on heck of a rip at the tip of Strathmere on a full moon outgoing tide... had some hairy nights there.... but it was very fishy..

Now it looks like you need a flats boat and a push pole!

·
Registered
112 Posts
doyle007
I fish straphapmere side of corsens alot.
It cetainly changes. Thanks for those pictures.
They really show the changing routes of the water
flow and sand bars. johnny gee

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
doyle007, Those pics are magnificent!! I am amazed at those overhead shots of inlets.
If you get one of this year, please post it? Corsons is unique to CMC as it is the only
inlet left that is not altered by rocks. It's beautiful... :cool: Those pics show evidence of how the dogs tail is supposed to "wag"...

[ 03-22-2006, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Keeper Seeker ]

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Looks like Moby Dick to me!

·
Registered
556 Posts
As Capt. Scott stated, the inlet will be much different come Memorial Day. The massive volumes of water and strong tide that run through the inlet during spring tides and the full moon have always created a pass somewhere in the inlet. Last year the opening was down on the south side of the inlet and was 5 feet at low tide. And yes, you have to be right on the spot but we come and go in the dark all summer long. Here's a few more 2005 pictures.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Just Some Amazing Shots, Thanks Guys....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts