BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lebanon Bait has a petition going; please stop in & sign it! Or email at [email protected] and they will email you a page to print out and have all your friends sign it and send it to Lebanon Bait; 1110 Rt 22 West; Lebanon, NJ 08833 - we will add it to our list!

Even on a dreary, rainy early weekday morning in the off season, Round Valley State Park attracts visitors.
On Tuesday, one couple was walking a dog deep into the wooded trails near the South Parking Lot. A few others took a break to sit and have something to eat while enjoying the scenery. Collin Marshiando of Flemington was quietly sitting alone in his car and reading when he heard that Gov. Jon Corzine proposed closing the park as part of budget cuts.
"That's too bad," Marshiando said. "It's a great place, it's really big, and it's not too far from any place in Central Jersey.
"Way back in middle school I used to come here mountain biking," he said. "I've heard it's some of the best mountain biking in the state. I guess I never really gave much thought to it closing. That's too bad."
One in five New Jersey state parks would be forced to close at the height of the summer season and 80 parks workers would be laid off as part of the governor's cost-cutting measures. The Department of Environmental Protection is proposing to close nine state parks entirely, slash services at three more, and reduce offseason hours at all 42 sites.
The list of parks slated for closure includes five in the Skylands region and two each in the Shore and Delaware River regions. Hours and services at three others would be drastically reduced. Parks targeted to close include High Point State Park and Round Valley Recreation Area in the north, Monmouth Battlefield State Park at the shore and Parvin State Park in the south.
Around the main drive to the East Parking Lot, Ken Gremli of Long Valley was pulling a couple of his favorite fishing rods and reels from his car trunk, which was filled with a dozen more, and half a dozen bait and tackle boxes.
Gremli owns a catering business and is a serious trophy fisherman who competes in all the major bass tournaments from Pennsylvania to the Potomac River and New York's Finger Lakes. He's won a few competitions, and he holds a number of size records for large mouth bass.
"When I'm not working, I'm fishing," Gremli said. "The largest bass I ever caught was right here.
"I can't even believe they would talk about closing this facility," he said Thursday. "It may be underutilized now, but in the summer you'll see people everywhere, mountain biking, hiking."
Gremli believes the fishing and recreation communities wouldn't mind pitching in a bit more to support the park's services, but said the state has to make it worth their while.
"If they're serious about closing it down for budget reasons, it's got to be quid pro quo. Allow more fishing in the state in places like Wanaque, where they currently don't even allow shoreline fishing."
If Round Valley is closed, Gremli said he'll go to Spruce Run Reservoir, also in Clinton Township.
"There are places to go, but this is like the Yankee Stadium of fishing," Gremli said of Round Valley State Park. "To arbitrarily shut it down ... at least keep the public boat launch open."
Mayor Nick Corcodilos of Clinton Township, the township that encompasses the entire Round Valley property, wasn't at all surprised to hear Corzine's proposal for Round Valley and the other state parks.
"Corzine's plans are transparent and insulting," Corcodilos said. "And they inflict the maximum amount of pain on taxpayers and municipalities while doing nothing to cut the real cost of state government."
"If he closes Round Valley, Clinton Township would like to propose that we build our new affordable housing obligation in the park, because we can't put it anywhere else. No matter how far he goes, it just points out that the cost of state government in Trenton needs to be cleaned up."
A few miles east on Route 22 is the Lebanon Bait & Sport Shop on the border with Clinton Township. The store is filled with live bait, lures, all sorts of tackle equipment, and has a boat repair shop in the back. Much of the store's business comes from Round Valley fishermen.
"He's sick, he's a vindictive man," owner Steve Welgoss said upon hearing about Corzine's proposal. "How many small businesses around here will go out of business if Round Valley closes? That's unbelievable."
"The last time they closed the park down a few years ago for the budget crunch, we were down to making $10 a day," Welgoss continued. "Guys were coming in here to go fishing, and they couldn't go fishing." The Associated Press contributed to this story.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Govt.

Tnere are 2 choices that I can think of quickly, but many other combinations that we are all going thru.
1. Reduce the size of Govt/spending
2. Raise taxes
Politicians are great at getting voted in by taking care of us, more welfare, more unemployment, more law suits, earlier ss, earlier dipping into ss/disability, more govt. jobs, more money for the teachers, while they work less hours and have little accountability, bigger police forces, more full time lunch workers in the schools who as a nature of full time get benefits vacation and unemployment in the summer because schools are closed. I am not trying to point at any one group but it has gotten so big, that more people are on the dole and less are paying into the pot. It is getting tougher to balance big govt. and taxes in the till.
Corzine will propose cuts that will have the least chance of upsetting the voting base, as he wants to stay in office and be replaced by another in his party when it is time for him to go.
I love state parks, but for me, close them and go back to part time school workers who do not qualify for unemployment in the summer, get rid of toll takers as you do not need them as it is automated and they get paid to do nothing of value, reduce the police force to a reasonable number on a per person basis with higher concentratuions in bad areas.
One of the underlying issues is how will this country solve or deal with social welfare
I just think we are to the point where big govt and big govt spending has to go down.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are pissed - call the Park Dept. in Trenton - 609-292-2733, her name is Susan!

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is a punishment for the people opposing Corzine's toll hike plan. He has already announced reduced money for small towns (most of which are in South Jersey) and announced that the Dept. of Agriculture will be shut down.
What he fails to do is address the full time benefits and retirement packages for part time political appointees, the fact that state workers can retire at 55 while the rest of us have to wait at least 10 to 12 years more, and has failed to cut wasteful spending because that is where the pork is and he owes too many favors to cut the pork.

It stinks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You put a democrat in office......what did you expect. Now he's using a form of blackmail to get his tax increase.

·
Registered
29 Posts
State Parks

It was be a real same to close down these parks. I heard that Corzine plans to sell them to developers. We can't let this communist get away with this. I plan on getting involved to twart his plans. HE SHOULD BE RECALLED!

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Dogface said:
You put a democrat in office......what did you expect. Now he's using a form of blackmail to get his tax increase.
They won't come clean.............

I asked them to post who they were voting for before the election.
So many voted for him but now, won't admit it :D:D:D
I think its funny as hell, watching them stew over his decesions.
Disclaimer:If you did not vote for him then you should not be mad at me, you should be mad at the people who voted for him. Oh BTW I did the math and it wasn't just the people in trenton and newark that put him in office. Enjoy

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Hopefully he will be one and done. He is doing a horrible job. I know I didn't vote for him.

I also beleive he is trying to punish people for opposing his toll increase proposal.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Funny how no one wants to remember that 2 bil chunk Christy borrowed from the pension fund, with an almost 20 bil pay off by 2020.. Not that I'm crazy over Corzine, but he did not spend the money that put NJ into debt.. It's illegal for NJ to run in the red. He's required by law to balance the books. If he can't get it done he still has to try..no matter how much people hate him for doing it..

State parks are nice, but I'd rather see boat ramps..

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Corzine is a rich fat bastard. He has so much money that he shouldn't be in office. NJ is getting way out of hand and what as a democracy can we do to overthrow him or foce him out of office? I don't think he's been in office for over a year and we have what 3 more to go with him? He's gonna do more bad than good. NJ is one of the highest tax paying states, where is all the money going?, maybe an investigation should be done. The guy keeps cutting these public parks that don't drain the taxes like some of these state commities and organizations do. Corzine wants to beaks down all of your small little towns and combine them into districts or zones......and if that goes through(he thinks he'd be saving money by doing it) but zoned/districts are gonna need fire, police, education, citizen commissions and people that take up the new commission positions are gonna need to be paid-so that money is gonna get spent even more to pay for these commissions. Just a little something I heard from someone who is a part of the town council for a small town.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Dunk said:
Funny how no one wants to remember that 2 bil chunk Christy borrowed from the pension fund, with an almost 20 bil pay off by 2020.. Not that I'm crazy over Corzine, but he did not spend the money that put NJ into debt.. It's illegal for NJ to run in the red. He's required by law to balance the books. If he can't get it done he still has to try..no matter how much people hate him for doing it..

State parks are nice, but I'd rather see boat ramps..
While I agree with you, knowing the problems we had he still raised the budget what...14% last year??

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The TWO C'S.....Corzine and Cancer.One destroys the State,the other destroys the Body.There can be a cure for cancer.There is no cure for Corzine.He has to be voted out of office before he totally destroys N.J.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
What did we expect? Remember he wanted to partner with Charles Kushner and buy the nets? Kushner was the guy who hand picked McGreevy, and vidoe taped his bro in law with the high priced call girl (he secretly hired) and mailed the tape to his sister as blackmail. Can you say "Macevelli", did you know of that Dem shyster fraudelent scam????

Corzine would not have joined forces with Kushner w/o fully investigating his biz practices. He KNEW he was sleazy, and still was going ahead till Kushner got caught and thrown in the slammer

And btw on his last day at Goldman Sachs they changed the locks on him...and locked him out!!!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I moved out Last year,

after the striper migration !, never looked back and never regreted the move, only negative is that for may, june im 45 miles further from the striper waters.but ill still be striper fishin 2-3 days a week may / june.
PS CORZINE IS THE PERFECT ROLE MODEL OF ALL NJ POLITICIAN, AT EVERY LEVEL OF THE STATE GOVERMENT !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts