BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at my supply of lead and its getting down and need to get some. What is the going rate for lead now?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Since you've been making your own weights, you probably already know this. Watch out if you reuse tire weights. Or if you buy weights from a guy who makes his own. Tire weights have other metals besides lead in them, like tin and antimony which helps make the tire weights harder, but it also makes them a bit lighter. If you weigh your sinkers made from them you'll see about a 10 to 15 per cent difference in the weights compared to all lead ones. I picked up some sinkers at a flea market one time, and 8 ounce weights weighed in at about 7 oz. If you're in fast water, your bait might not be holding the bottom compared to the next guy with a real 8 ounce sinker.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
No problem using tire weights...the lead is heavier and sinks to the bottom, you have to melt the weights and skim the excess crap off the top...the amount that remains is very very little and you would not notice any weight difference. Nothing better than using sinkers that were free, especially when you lose a few @ 20-40 cents an ounce(sometimes higher:eek:).

·
Registered
827 Posts
melting pot wanted

I've been looking at my supply of lead and its getting down and need to get some. What is the going rate for lead now?

Mike -- how much do you need? Have access to quite a amount of old lead pipe.

I need to know where to get a larger melting pot for lead ---- you think a lowes or HD would sell them ?????? The one I have is pretty small about the size of a tea pot.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike -- how much do you need? Have access to quite a amount of old lead pipe.

I need to know where to get a larger melting pot for lead ---- you think a lowes or HD would sell them ?????? The one I have is pretty small about the size of a tea pot.
I'm looking to restock my supply, I have no set number.

I use a Stailess Steel pot on a Turkey fryer burner it works great.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The window weights that I run into are cast iron not lead.
Sash weights are cast iron ,tire weights are a real pain they are covered with oil ,dirt ,paint, glue,rubber,I was given a gallon can of them takes forever to melt, clean, remove the metal clips skim off the gunk.I know I am spoiled I never bought lead .Always got it from plumbers on the jobs.Sheetrock lined lead is good too but that to is work.Anyway my supply is down real low I also will need to score some lead.I see that sinkers are selling for 30Cnts an once.Try a scrap yard if one is close by.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I have melted probably a couple thousand LBS. of lead over the years including 5, 5 gallon buckets of wheel weight. No Problem.Iron Clips float on the top and you just skim them off. One time a guy brought "Lead Containers". I thought nothing of them and threw them into the pot. While we were pouring I asked him what the hell came in these containers.His response," Radioactive Isotopes that were used in Cancer Treatments and Diagnostics.":D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
593 Posts
sailboat keels are usually solid lead or will be lead poured around fire brick. they can easily be drilled with a long bit to determine how big the keel is and what its made of.... if you have any i would be interested in taking them
I did some more research it is a Catalina 27, it is a lead keel. It weighs about 2700 pounds, I was off a little on 5,000. I know I am not going to be able to sell the boat so I was going to know it over and cut the keel off and take it to a scrap yard along with the mast. If you are interested in the keel let me know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.