BASS BARN banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes ,
On very nice calm days .
You have to watch the weather and check the tides.
If you motor somewhere go with the outgoing tide , but remember to get back ,you will need the help of the incoming tide .
Better yet , mabey just stick to going on big lakes ,
the element of risk and danger is much lower to consider .
Well, I want to sail down to the Chesapeake inn in that thing. Think thats do able from the river? Or find a different way to get there?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Well, I want to sail down to the Chesapeake inn in that thing. Think thats do able from the river? Or find a different way to get there?
Wow ,
No way , don't do it ......
Too far , it's a lot of water to cover with that little concept boat .....
I Just looked at a map ,
You will literally be sailing the river south covering the full length of the deleware bay out into the ocean to the furthest reaches of the coast of deleware Cape Charles ,
then traveling north almost the full length of the Chesapeake bay to get to your destination ,
The Chesapeake bay beach club / inn

I would not do that ,
I would not recommend that .
That boats too small and that's too far of a journey for that small horse power motor ,
Too many dangerous unknown factors involved ........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow ,
No way , don't do it ......
Too far , it's a lot of water to cover with that little concept boat .....
Just looked at a map ,
You will literally be sailing the river south covering the full length of the deleware bay out into the ocean to the furthest reaches of the coast of deleware Cape Charles then traveling north almost the full length of the Chesapeake bay to get to your destination
The Chesapeake bay beach club / inn
I would not do that ,
I would not recommend that .
That boats too small and that's too far of a journey for that small horse power motor ,
Too many dangerous unknown factors involved ........
Wait... why would I have to go into the bay?

The arrow ends up in that water way, going to the inn.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Wait... why would I have to go into the bay? View attachment 445786
The arrow ends up in that water way, going to the inn.
Oh !
I didn't see that little short cut , on a nice day , with favorable weather ,
I would try it ,
hug the coast lines of both bays stay close to land but Pay attention to the tides .
It's doable.
Good luck the day you decide to try .
Nice talking to ya .......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Navy
Come back and post about the trip ,
And how things went .........
I will! It most likely will be a while though, since I got some saving to do.

Also, I plan on making a youtube channel all about my adeventures on the sealander! And pushing it to see what I can get out of it as well :p.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
well after reading this thread for a couple days and the guys refusal to listen to us who operate "actual boats of varying sizes, I've changed my advice- Navy- guy buy the trailer and take it out on the bay, maybe go through the cape may canal and tell us about your experice and how it handled the conditions. Check NOAA before you go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
well after reading this thread for a couple days and the guys refusal to listen to us who operate "actual boats of varying sizes, I've changed my advice- Navy- guy buy the trailer and take it out on the bay, maybe go through the cape may canal and tell us about your experice and how it handled the conditions. Check NOAA before you go.
I guess you didn't see the part were I said I decided to stick to the river, and not go onto the bay huh?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Someone else and I also said the river is a little too much for the trailer boat, strong current, tugboat wakes, ships etc your trailer with a 9.9 is not suitable for the river also. A pond or lake yes. Nuff said, have at it and do whatever you feel you want to do with your floating trailer. Let us all know how you make out on the bay, river, ocean , or we can read about it in the news. ......:D

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I would say that there isn't enough Freeboard on that Boat to take on any rough water and is best suited for calm water only. Any type of weather would put that water right into the Boat. Between boat traffic and wakes, current and wind, I wouldn't try the C&D Canal either.

The Small Engine would not be strong enough with any current the Delaware has continuously or enough power to overcome much wind with the high profile of the Boat either let alone current too.

It would be a blast on Lake Hapatcong, Round Valley Reservoir, Lake Wallenpaupack or anything like that.

When it comes to Navigation, I'd worry about hitting bottom a lot if I had to always hug the Shoreline... they could be Rocks you're gonna hit. There are no electronics. You have no Depth Gauges, No Navigation instruments, no Maps, no Communications, no Navigational Lights, no way to know where you're going or where you end up if you loose sight... of land or a fog-bank. Large Boats & Ships may not even see you on their Radar, there's not much Metal or height to be recognized by many Radar's. Even Sailboat's have this problem.

Just some food for thought.

Speaking of Food... I was at the 29 Mile Wreck when we almost became the 30 Mile Wreck. Out Shark Fishing, the weather suddenly blew up and then a following Sea and 3 quick waves over the Transom and we were sitting Rub Rail high in the water with a 5 gallon bucket of Beef Blood and a Chum bucket emptied into the inside of the Boat knee deep in a Red bath of blood. Wow, the fish finder was going CRAZY... Short version > saved the boat, refloated her with help from a passing boat, saw the Coast Guard Helo, met the Menatico Coast Guard Ship & Crew, lost all Electronics but had Engines & Compass... So, I ran the Boat back (Trolled for a while) 30 miles right to the LE Buoy using only the Compass (And a lot of knowledge of the neighborhood) and the guy that owned the Boat and my friends were totally amazed. From good Weather to almost sunk... 2~4 minutes, getting her back to from Davy Jones Locker about 45 minutes.... One of their Wives always asked why they always took me fishing with them and they said Cause I wanna make it Back! Ya just never know what Mother Nature has to offer...

Freeboard - The distance between the water line and the top of the gunwale. Boats designed to be used in quiet water often have very little freeboard such as punts. Boats that typically have to face stronger waves are built with more freeboard, such as dories.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I would say that there isn't enough Freeboard on that Boat to take on any rough water and is best suited for calm water only. Any type of weather would put that water right into the Boat. Between boat traffic and wakes, current and wind, I wouldn't try the C&D Canal either.

The Small Engine would not be strong enough with any current the Delaware has continuously or enough power to overcome much wind with the high profile of the Boat either let alone current too.

It would be a blast on Lake Hapatcong, Round Valley Reservoir, Lake Wallenpaupack or anything like that.

When it comes to Navigation, I'd worry about hitting bottom a lot if I had to always hug the Shoreline... they could be Rocks you're gonna hit. There are no electronics. You have no Depth Gauges, No Navigation instruments, no Maps, no Communications, no Navigational Lights, no way to know where you're going or where you end up if you loose sight... of land or a fog-bank. Large Boats & Ships may not even see you on their Radar, there's not much Metal or height to be recognized by many Radar's. Even Sailboat's have this problem.

Just some food for thought.

Speaking of Food... I was at the 29 Mile Wreck when we almost became the 30 Mile Wreck. Out Shark Fishing, the weather suddenly blew up and then a following Sea and 3 quick waves over the Transom and we were sitting Rub Rail high in the water with a 5 gallon bucket of Beef Blood and a Chum bucket emptied into the inside of the Boat knee deep in a Red bath of blood. Wow, the fish finder was going CRAZY... Short version > saved the boat, refloated her with help from a passing boat, saw the Coast Guard Helo, met the Menatico Coast Guard Ship & Crew, lost all Electronics but had Engines & Compass... So, I ran the Boat back (Trolled for a while) 30 miles right to the LE Buoy using only the Compass (And a lot of knowledge of the neighborhood) and the guy that owned the Boat and my friends were totally amazed. From good Weather to almost sunk... 2~4 minutes, getting her back to from Davy Jones Locker about 45 minutes.... One of their Wives always asked why they always took me fishing with them and they said Cause I wanna make it Back! Ya just never know what Mother Nature has to offer...

Freeboard - The distance between the water line and the top of the gunwale. Boats designed to be used in quiet water often have very little freeboard such as punts. Boats that typically have to face stronger waves are built with more freeboard, such as dories.

View attachment 445792
Very informative ,
This definitely is the kind of information Navy was seeking ......
Hope he thinks it over and makes the right decision..........

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
That's A toy not a boat, Don't do it, maybe on a lake or pond, but not the bay or river
Hey we're all adults, we all have our own opinions, & you know what they say about opinions
Good luck with what ever you decide to do

·
Vendor
944 Posts
I'd seriously advise against it. Seriously! If you want to boat in the upper Delaware Bay/southern Delaware River that's not the vessel to do it in. Even on a calm day the current in the river and in the C+D canal will get the best of you; you will not have enough horsepower to overcome the drag of the tires. Not to mention the salt water will corrode the trailer components. This is made for a lake environment. Sorry to rain on your parade. I have plenty of experience on the DB and River and I would not take a day trip on this on anything but a lake.. Did I mention I'd seriously advise against this?!

Reactions: LAZY DAZE

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
That boat looks like you would be safe on the Dennisville Lake. I wouldn’t feel safe anywhere else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good Morning,

Let me share some information first hand info of my experience on the DR. I have fished the river several years in a Tracker SG16' deep V with a 40hp motor and while it will get the job done. First depending where you are planning to operate on the river a 15ft boat imo is NOT the best choice if you are looking to fish tidal water. Yes! it can be done there is no doubt however there are very large ships that really don't care the size wake they generate and depending on the tide it could easily overwhelm a small craft. we were out one night and a large ship came up river and rocked the boat so bad the water nearly came over the bow. I had 21" sides to the deck. I can tell you if weather catches you off guard and the wind picks up it will be a VERY wet ride back to the dock and a 40Hp motor didn't get us there fast enough. I have since upgraded to a 21' Cuddy with an IO and i can now make it from So Philly to the bay. You can have ideal conditions on the river and take the trip South to the bay and I have experienced upon arrival the wind and waves would come over the bow forcing us to turn around and head back to calmer water. I have never been farther South than the C&D canal. I can only imagine it can be much worse the wider the bay gets and the further South you go. Save your money and get the right tools for the job. bad experiences will discourage people you take with you.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I started w/ a 15' tri hull and then a 18' cuddy cabin. left from Maurice river and fished out to the maul(north and south of there) and occasionally down to bug light for weakies. As soon as you see ripples on the surface it's time to head for port. I had a 3 hour+ ride back in once from the maul because I didn't leave at the first sign of wind. 4-5mph all the way home soaking wet. Get sea tow/tow boat us and make sure you have safety gear. Also a good strong bildge pump just in case. West winds get pretty nasty on the Jersey side. Be prepared to be checked/boarded on a regular basis.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts