BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know drum come in the spring. Been trying to read past posts about them but can's find much. Have never fished for them before and would appreciate any help. I fish out of cape may.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Oil,
Get ready around memorial day.
Watch the posts on here. When they are biting, you will know about it. Take the canal to the DB and head west towards brandywine. You will see plenty of boats.

Search for marks and have plenty of surf clams on board.

·
Registered
173 Posts
S.Dbay drum

:confused: I bust up my shells in on bucket and put the calm in another. Use the shells and juice 4 chum, I throw it of the bow so it lands near the baits. Use double clam rigs, they can bite lite and steal the bait. The smaller ones are better eating. Best of luck bring a big net!

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
seabird.
In a strong tide, I try to throw my clam shells as far in front of the bow as possible. I don't think it makes a difference.

The small ones are easier to clean and better tasting.

Instead of a net, use a gaff. Hit them under the whiskers and lift them in the boat. If yo are gonna release them, they have no missing scales and the little hole will not stop them from feeding. Look at their butthole, if they can stand that pain, the gaff will do nothing to them.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
We generally start catching them around the 1st week of May. If you wait till Memorial day, you will miss 3 weeks of great fishing

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Capt Steve said:
We generally start catching them around the 1st week of May. If you wait till Memorial day, you will miss 3 weeks of great fishing
I guess it all depends on the moon and water temps (best I can tell)
but I will bow to the pros. I am by no means an expert on catching drum.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
You can catch drum during the day and at night. For a big fish they pick at the bait like a weak fish"little taps" They will steal your bait if you're not paying attention. Use fresh surf clams if you can get them, but salted will do. And do what the other guys on here said to do with the shells if you buy whole clams. For my rod set up I have 1 spinning rod with 30 berkley braid and a conventional reel with 40lb mono line, they get the job done. For my hook set up I use a size 8 Gami. circle hook (especially when the stripers are around) but I frefer to use a size 7 Gami. octopus J hook. I use a 3' 40-60lb mono line with a fish finder rig. You can either ancher your boat on the edge of a drop off and wait for drum or, find a parking spot out with the rest of the fleet in the "Drum holes" Fun fish to fight, I call them the poor man's tuna. The smaller 20-30lb fish are good to eat, the bigger they get, the more of a pain in the nads they are to clean, and their meat will have more of a pork texture to it. They are mostly all head, very unique prehistoric looking fish. Good luch, hope this helped out. I'll be out there.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I tried last year, and the year before. I AM TERRIBLE, or have bad luck

We (my regulars) are good Offshore fisherman (Tuna/shark), we do well inshore with fluke and sea bass, and for the last 3 years have done GREAT with stripers (especially last fall) - BUT - we cant catch a break when it comes to drum.

Well try again - but I think we are cursed when it comes to drum:D

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Checkout Desilu out of Snug Harbor in Cape May, caught this on his rig last year in early June, my buddie got one the same night. Biggest J was on board and can vouch for us.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Dread nice fish man! We have struck out too in 2 years...we haven't really gone out much...but hopefully this year we end our bad luck.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
ffsh around new and full moons for best bites in May

These fish can be fickle as we have had 15-20 on or best trips (releasing all but a few for the table) and come back to same location the next afternoon and only catch dog sharks and no drum. You never know. Tide against a strong wind is tough fishing and make sure you have enough chain on your anchor to get a good set. When the tide is ripping shorten your leaders to about 2 feet to keep baits from hydroplanning up off the bottom. Most years are best catches have been on weekdays with flat calm seas on the Delaware Bay and when the boat traffic is lightest. Weekends with good weather can be tough with the armada out there drumming. Some of the best drum fisherman I know sneak out in the middle of the night to fish when there is far fewer boats on weekends and holidays and do extremely well but the best bite is usually around the moon tides no matter what time you fish. Should see the first good drum bite with some stripers mixed in the first week of May around the new moon. Hold your rod as they will suck your clams right off your hook without you ever knowing it and hit them quick and hard as soon as you feel the slightest tap. Good luck

·
Registered
77,364 Posts
capemaychef said:
Dread nice fish man! We have struck out too in 2 years...we haven't really gone out much...but hopefully this year we end our bad luck.
You better caught them up with that new boat;)

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Last year, April 11th we fished all day without a bite.:mad: Tide change to out going,:p We caught four in the next 1/2 hr. :) one 86 lber :D and three in the 40 lb. range.:D Just a quick the bite was gone. You need to wait them out.:confused:

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
I know where your at;), never got one last year but I didn't know what I was doing. Have got some great ideas reading post
BigSexy said:
Get that slip next to me and you'll be loaded with them:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the tips

I would really like to thank all the helpful tips that you have told me.
I;m learning a lot about this Bassbarn site, and hope I will be in a position someday to help others as so many have helped me.
Good and Safe fishing to ALL !!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts