BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11 weeks approx till they show up. yes I know I am going to get the water temp stuff, but the water usually shows up about the same time every year and with it it brings the makos. Have to head a little south from cape may but at least it will kick off the offshore season.

· Registered
7,971 Posts
Val:

Possibly our boat and the Miss Andrea will buddy boat with you as Capt Billy and Rick along with Capt Hookey who skippers the Sailmaker (48 Viking) who you probalby know from Canyon Club might all put together an overnight trip to the deep in late June or early July. We have all talked about a multi boat trip for the canyon size Mako's this summer. Capt Billy has all the numbers where the late Capt Billy V fished as well as myself since one of my mates worked on the Realistic and I knew Capt Billy quite well before his untimely traggic passing. We can discuss this later this spring and see what we can put together.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Captn John

If we fish the BIG FISH spot that billy used in the deep its 129 miles from Cape May and I might not make the fuel requirement. I only hold 290 gallons. Plus my current boat is a cork compared to what I had in the past.

Anyway if we do the other spot I'm good. I havn't done either in a few years so I am pretty excited.

I also would be happy to crew on another larger boat. I have had my best success during the week near Jimmy's Shark tourny. On a Weekday/night. Usually fish Jimmy's so I have to plan around that as you proablly do as well. Problem is that's usually when the small yellows show up and everybody wants to go tuna fishing. I wonder if there is a coincedence here?

· Registered
7,971 Posts
Val

Three years ago in late June when we were associated with the Canyon Runner Charter business we had Capt Phil, Capt Mark and myself on three different boats spent the night in Wilmington or Baltimore shark fishing all night. Capt Mark was running the new Hooked Up 11 then and went deep and Capt Phil and myself stayed inshore about 300-400 fathoms inside Mark. We were all offshore for the day Yellowfin bite primarily but I did lose a Mako in the middle of the night but it was under 200 lbs and that was the only shark bite for any us I believe all night. I think Mark was early season swordfishing that night as well. I do believe the big Mako's are probably feeding on the smaller Yellowfins when they show up in late June.
Capt Billy Garrison is in New Zealand now and I am in Southern CA until later in March but will get together with all the guys and see what we can put together. I will be talking to Capt Rickey and Hookey as the Sailmaker is down in Morehead City, NC and Hook will be coming down to do some fishing in April before we probably will run up together to Cape May. Hook was mating with Capt Rick when they had the one over 600 lbs a few years ago but they were no where near as far as Capt Billy V fished for them. Also remember Fishermen Joe had his big one at the Tip of the Baltimore if my memory is correct in June or early July as we were offshore that day heard reports of his large Mako on the radio that morning.
Probably the biggest hurdle to running far out to the deep other than weather is the fuel burn on the bigger boats and from what I am hearing it is going up soon and I am sure that might play into who's willing to run deep. I certainly would be interested and we can discuss this later this spring and see who might want to give it a try.

Val: This is from Mate Ty who's dad is doing work on the Hooked Up 11 down at True World Marine in Beaufort, NC. They ran up to North past the Rock Pile off Hatteras on Monday and this is the report he called to tell me about this morning. They used mostly naked Ballyhoo's or chuggers in front of Ballyhoo's and had a monster day. No wwwwwwback or planners just a standard 8 rod spread.

On Tuna fishing off Hatteras: I just got a call this morning form one of the mates I know that fishes out of Morehead City, NC on a private boat and they ran 73 miles north of the slot inside the Knuckle Buoy and put together an awesome tuna catch on Monday. They had 6 Blackfin, 6 yellowfin and somewhere between 6-10 bigger Bluefins which they kept the smallest just over 100 lbs as they prefer eating the smaller ones versus the 200 lbers.At one time all 8 of their trolling lines went off with tuna of all sizes. The tuna were all mixed together just north of the Hatteras Rock Pile on the temperature break. This morning the guys are starting to rig for Blue Marlin and Sailfish as that is what they primarily target and they expect them to show up soon of the OBX.

These reports are starting to get my blood boiling and how about this Josh if you read the reports lately.

· Registered
9,252 Posts
Val: This is from Mate Ty who's dad is doing work on the Hooked Up 11 down at True World Marine in Beaufort, NC. They ran up to North past the Rock Pile off Hatteras on Monday and this is the report he called to tell me about this morning. They used mostly naked Ballyhoo's or chuggers in front of Ballyhoo's and had a monster day. No wwwwwwback or planners just a standard 8 rod spread.

On Tuna fishing off Hatteras: I just got a call this morning form one of the mates I know that fishes out of Morehead City, NC on a private boat and they ran 73 miles north of the slot inside the Knuckle Buoy and put together an awesome tuna catch on Monday. They had 6 Blackfin, 6 yellowfin and somewhere between 6-10 bigger Bluefins which they kept the smallest just over 100 lbs as they prefer eating the smaller ones versus the 200 lbers.At one time all 8 of their trolling lines went off with tuna of all sizes. The tuna were all mixed together just north of the Hatteras Rock Pile on the temperature break. This morning the guys are starting to rig for Blue Marlin and Sailfish as that is what they primarily target and they expect them to show up soon of the OBX.

These reports are starting to get my blood boiling and how about this Josh if you read the reports lately.

I spoke with Ty earlier today, he told me the yellowfins and 200# bluefins are mixed right in with eachother off hatteras and they are eating everything in the spread, he is supose to call me later today and give me all the details. Wont be long now. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.