BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are your secrets for the Tuna cover up, or full knock down 8 rods bent.......drags screamin:D, total cockpit chaos:eek:? Thats how you put the numbers in the boat:cool:. So lets hear it, how do you get the multiples instead of the single. Rob

·
Banned
269 Posts
if baits r still swimming circle toward the hook up side, start working closeest fish and toward furtherest, mate should jig by hand the lines still swimming and all other lines will get hooked up or more should. also, as u work back over spot bump in and out of gear to drop baits down alittle and then when back in gear they will appear as if trying to get away to the top.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
zar2754 said:
drag the right lures over big schools of hungry fish and dont mess anything up.
why didnt i think of that:p nice:D

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
fishbreath13 said:
Nobody likes a smart AZZ:p:p:p:p
haha, well unfortunatley, i have never had the opportunity to experience a complete coverup, but cbounds response sounds pretty good, also sometimes its better to be lucky than good. :rolleyes:

-ZAR

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
If It's Within 3 Hours Of Sunset Stay As You Are For About 5 Seconds Then Turn Towards The Fish As You Slow Then Turn Other Way As You Increase Speed Then Stop And Have A Man Throw A Lot Of Chunks As A Couple Feeders Are Sent Out As The Lures Or Bars Are Bought In. Good Chance If There Was Fish There You'll Hook On A Feeder Soon. All Should Be Done In A Mater Of Minutes Unless You Filled The Lines That Were Trolled,still Throw The Chunks And Feed Lines As You Can Both Surface And Down Some. If Charter And Workers Don't Know Who To Listen To Or What To Do You'll Look Like The 9 Stooges. Think.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Depends on type of fish and number of crew....
If its a 2 man crew like I fish with alot...slow her down to 3 knots.. put the autopilot on a straight course and we each grab a rod and do battle.... fight and gaff the fish yourself! :)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
rig up polyballs with reel clips. when you hook up clip the polyball to the reel, lock up the drag, ditch the rod in the water and come back in 10 minutes after you land the other fish that were hooked. its very easy!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Tuna will go back to feeding while hooked which is what they were doing when you came along. If we get covered up, we just work on the fish in order. Closest fish gets worked on first and so on.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The question is when trolling for Tuna, and you get a knock down and hook up, what do you guys do to try to get multiple hookups..... Turn the boat one way or the other? Speed up or slow down? Jig the rest of the baits in the spread? Stop and start the boat to let the baits sink as if they are stunned and then speed up as if they are trying to get away? I do all of the above and was just trying to generate some new ideas from the good people on this board. For me there is nothing like watching rod after rod bend over with fish on. Especially with the price of fuel these days. Rob

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
As soon as we get hit mark the spot w/ MOB then put on the autopilot. I will then jig the other lines to make the lures look erratic. If I'm not short-crewed I will change speeds or directions.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
fishbreath13 said:
The question is when trolling for Tuna, and you get a knock down and hook up, what do you guys do to try to get multiple hookups..... Turn the boat one way or the other? Speed up or slow down? Jig the rest of the baits in the spread? Stop and start the boat to let the baits sink as if they are stunned and then speed up as if they are trying to get away? I do all of the above and was just trying to generate some new ideas from the good people on this board. For me there is nothing like watching rod after rod bend over with fish on. Especially with the price of fuel these days. Rob
When you hook up, keep the boat in gear and dont break stride. Dont back off or speed up, keep engine harmonics the same. If you dont hook up again in the passing 20 seconds or so (that time is off the top of my head could be more or less depending on how fast line is peeling off), do what you have to do to boat the fish you have hooked up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am curious to this as well as I have had trouble getting multiples. I have heard different theories as to what to do after the hookup. Some say just hold a steady course with constant speed b/c if you slow down or speed up the change in the hum of the engines can spook the fish. Others say slowdown to drop the baits then quickly accelerate. Others say turn towards the hooked up rod. I have taken the constant speed and direction approach with limited success. I am going to try the jigging the remaining lines. I am also definitely going to have a setup with a diamond jig ready to go and drop that back once I slow the boat down.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Tight spread of ballyhoo close to the boat. I got to admit though I never have been covered up yet but we managed 4 of 7 rods.

·
Banned
269 Posts
reelhooked said:
I am curious to this as well as I have had trouble getting multiples. I have heard different theories as to what to do after the hookup. Some say just hold a steady course with constant speed b/c if you slow down or speed up the change in the hum of the engines can spook the fish. Others say slowdown to drop the baits then quickly accelerate. Others say turn towards the hooked up rod. I have taken the constant speed and direction approach with limited success. I am going to try the jigging the remaining lines. I am also definitely going to have a setup with a diamond jig ready to go and drop that back once I slow the boat down.
u should hold steady course if u have inexperienced anglers on the fish. keep the boat moving straight ahead to help keep drag pressure on fish. this will eliminate angler error of slack line. also until u know how and where the fish is moving it is best to go straight ahead then adjust

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
When you get a couple of hookups, turn to the side the fish are on. That will slow the inside baits on that side. Have an angler dump line on the lines without fish on them. The mate should move a couple of the lines from the outside of the turn over to the inside side of the boat and dump line immediately on those too. The boat does not stop.

Ther was a great article about this in Salt Water Sportsman magazine about 5 years ago or so. Capt. Karl Anderson from Beach Haven wrote it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts