BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing the bay behind Avalon last Saturday around noon. Had caught alot of small bass, 1 oyster cracker and a small weakfish. All of a sudden, my line goes tight, the reel is screaming, and line is peeling off. I was using a good quality rig with all new line , hook, etc.. I tightened the drag a little, and it did not even slow the fish down. I handed the rod to my brother and said- "you're fishing ". I started the engine and followed the fish toward the big bridge. Finally, we got along side, and my brother started to make some progress. About 15 minutes later, the huge ray came along side. Not a skate- rather a 20+ pound ray. The same type that had been all over the surf a few weeks back. Brown body and wings, with white underside. Huge mouth. He had straightened the hook, so it was easy to get out with pliers. Never brought it into the boat. Was this a cow nosed ray? I read later that their tail can inflict a serious injury.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
Hedge, me and my dad caught two rays saturday in Avalon's bay right next to the fishing pier. Easy 40+ lbs. Had to follow them with the boat.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by Esox1:
Hedge, me and my dad caught two rays saturday in Avalon's bay right next to the fishing pier. Easy 40+ lbs. Had to follow them with the boat.
yup they are all over the place. they like pinkies too...

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
lANDED 2 ON Saturday,one hit a Rattletrap ,the other was caught on a small eel behind Corsons.
They are a lot of fun on light tackle but did have to start the boat up both times
They can provide a real nasty cut that usually gets infected .One got me a few years ago on my arm and it hurt for 2 weeks

·
Registered
772 Posts
I caught them in the back bays of Stone Harbor this weekend. I was all excited because I could see dozens of fins breaking the surface in the channel near our house. I jumped on the boat, and first cast I had a hook-up. Didn't know they were rays until I horsed it to the boat in about 15 minutes. The dude was LARGE.

Unfortunately I also encountered several dead ones in the shallows. Looks like some moron fishermen are hooking them and then killing them. I hate when people kill fish for no reason! One guy was fishing at from the shore and was exclaiming how skates were good for nothing and they should be killed. He didn't even notice that the cow nose ray was significantly different!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think they are kind of interesting, even though they aren't what we're after. Also, they fight pretty hard. When is the last time you hooked something in the bay that you could not stop?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.