BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was fishing the little egg inlet today and hooked up with a cow nosed ray. It was a great fight on a small rod. I unhooked it by wrapping the leader around my hand and used my pliers with my other hand. The ray was mostly in the water except for his mouth. Is there an easier way to handle these fish. I know that they have a barb on their tail, is there anything else that can hurt you. Any info on these fish would be great.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i've gotten quit a few of those the past 2 weeks. we just try and get it to the boat for the smaller ones and cut the leader. the big ones will stick to the bottom after a nice run and wont budge, just try to get back what line you can and cut it.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Start strummin the line like a banjo once they try to suck to the bottom. It took about 10 mins but I got the beast up and to the boat. We had a blitz of them, I am guessing they wre breeding back behond the stinkhouse in Tuckerton. There was at least 50 surfacing every few minutes.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I actually was fishing an inlet in SJ this past Sat., and a buddy of mine managed to hook into 3 of the rays; 2 of them had about a 4 or 5 foot wingspan...we were unable to unhook the bucktail due to all the wing flapping, so we just cut the line close to the bucktail at the side of the boat...With the smaller one (I'm guessing it was 3' across), we were able to net it and bring it into the boat...It is absolutely amazing how heavy even a smaller one is---I thought the net was going to rip as I lifted it out of the water! I mean, the thing was easily 30#!!! After removing the bucktail, we took a look at the ray; underneath their whip-like tail, they have two thick, needle-like barbs protruding from the rear. Each barb appeared to be approx 4 inches long...Needless to say we were very careful in handling it after we saw these.....Mike

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
From experience, I can tell you that those barbs hurt. Got one stuck in my thumb a few years ago while fishing at night. OUCH!!!

Since I usually fish from shore, I beach them, turn them over and remove hook with pliers...but avoid the tail section as much as possible. :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
we got one in GE inlet this past saturday and the wingspand had to have been 3ft, maybe even more. it was an awesome fight on a light ugly stick. after about 5 mins of work we were able to get it boatside and cut the line about half the size of the ray but man what a fight!! :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
It was sure fun watching all those rods bend in half in GE inlet on Monday afternoon. Must have been a bunch of those lil' devils around. It didn't take much to get one on the hook. Unfortunately they must've scared all the flatties out of the inlet. One heck of a fight though. A lot of fun for the cost of snelling up a few hooks.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Fished a SJ inlet sunday and hooked into one from the beach. Rod just doubled over and started peeling off drag like it was on free spool. Roan about 100 feet of line before I was able to put the breaks on her. Twenty minutes later we finally saw it just past the wash. Thought my buddy was going to s..t his paints since he was in the water about knee high. He had never seen a fish that big. Finally got her into the last four inches or so of water and was trying to time the wave to get her where I could handle her. Well she was timeing the wave too because as the wave crashed over she took off and snapped my 17lb yozuri. Couldn't believe how big it was. Easally had to be six feet wide. Also was shocked none of my knots broke. Line broke about four feet from my shock leader..Not a bass but fun just the same...

·
Registered
489 Posts
I wonder if any cobia are followin them?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Do cow-nosed rays take lures? One night I was fishing a white zoom and something grabbed it and took off!

I mean, it really took off... then it was as if it went straight for the bottom of the bay and just stopped there...

My line got cut after a few minutes... I thought I was fouled on something...

Never knew what it was... thought it was a bass that just went deep ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts