BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, anyone that knows me will tell you all that I am a stand up guy. I've gotten tired of "people" either stealing the crabs that enter in my two traps (non-commercial) or stealing the traps altogether. Yesterday I decided to put a trap out on the other side of the Wildwood canal(between Poplar Ave and 26th St.,) which I can see PLAIN as day from my deck. Well, this morning around 1000hrs., a boat by the name of "Roc n Rol" not positive of the name but close, drives by and my wife and I hear a remark from one of the two aboard about the drum carcasses around our dock.
We're sitting outside while this boat transits the canal, makes a right and proceeds to check out two other pots in the vicinity, which we assumed were theirs. Once done hauling their pots, they turned to go toward ours, circled it once, then pulled it from the water. More to follow on that.
They left our pot, went west across the intracoastal and pulled a few other pots up. Unless I'm wrong and they DO have a commercial license, you're only allowed 2!!!! pots.
I couldn't get our little putt-putt out because of low water for another 30 minutes. Went looking for them, couldn't find them after an almost two hour search.
IF you're the owner of the boat, my name is Bruce Gedraitis, 641 Poplar St., West Wildwood, phone 609-729-5273, or my cell 215-280-5623, I'd like to meet you. By the way, once I do find your boat and get the registration letters, I'm turning it into the Fish and Game warden. Have a F'in nice day!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I would call Fish & Wildlife immediately and give them as many details as possible. It's now documented. Then if I did find them at a later date I would give F&W that information.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Bruce your best bet is to call F&G that what they get paid to do. I WOULD NOT CONFRONT them. See if their is a pattern and or video tape them.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the number is 609-748-2050 for nj marine law enforcement. Note; that if they had a comercial license they have to have their numbers painted on the side of their boat. Make sure your traps have your numbers on them also before the co comes out to investigate as he will be checking that first.

[ 05-20-2006, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: barrell ]

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everyone,
Boat side numbers are NJ 8754AE, Roc & Rol V, a 20' or so older fisher. They just passed our dock, I confronted them, they gave the old hummmana, hummma, hummana,. Again, I live at 641 West Poplar Avenue, If you dispute these come see me, I WELCOME it! By the way - WE WATCHED YOU FROM OUR DOCK!!!!!! This wasn't just me, my wife watched it also. I'm making a call to the fish and game. I HOPE YOU'RE SCREWED!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Brucrew, sorry to hear you got ripped off, but now you have all the info to let the law handle it. I know how you feel, but let the guys from law enforcement handle it from here. Otherwise, you could be the one getting charges levied against you. Let cooler heads prevail, and I second your motion, "I hope your screwed".

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Brucrew-
I sympathise with you, and hope you get justice. Absent witnessing this J/O raiding your pots there's nothing the fish cops can do without solid evidence.
Luckily for you this guy sounds just arrogant enough to keep trying get a camera with a good zoom and a time code and roll some tape on him.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Brucecrew, They will be able to charge him as long as you are willing to be their witness. You saw them pull up your pots at that point they had already broken the law.
good luck
barrell

[ 05-21-2006, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: barrell ]

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I had to stop using traps. Man I miss crabs. For years people stoll my crabs but always left my pots. Now they disapear as fast as I can put them in the water. I finally gave up.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I also had to give up putting out commercial traps behind Sea Isle. My traps were marked properly and always kept out of the channel. They were also always robbed and the bait dumped. It was the commercial guys, stealing my crabs dumping the bait and finaling moving my traps half a mile away from where I put them. A regular guy stealing crabs would'nt take the time to dump bait and move my traps. I have no respect for commercial crabbers anymore they are a bunch of thieves who steal from each other.

[ 05-22-2006, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: DRIFTER1 ]

·
Registered
769 Posts
Brucrew, while I was talkin to Fishpicker yesterday, F&G was there and asked me to take a ride down Ottens Harbor to see if that boat was docked somewhere along there. It wasnt, but he knows where the guys house is and at least he is following up for you.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Drifter, It may be a comercial guy ,it may not be.
Not all comercial crabbers are low lifes. There actualy are some honest guys who are getting ripped off alot worse than you. Most of their theivery occurs from fisherman on their way back to the dock figuring they grab some crab meat to stuff the fluke they got in the box. All comercial crabbers have large numbers painted on the side of their boat.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.