BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son Brandon and I took a short trip down to Beaver Dam today....We arrived at @10:45 and were towed out to our spot. We began to catch right away and as the tide sped up, the crabs seemed to slow down. We got caught in a down pour around 1:00...(soaked right down to my draws). Got towed in around 1:30 and still raining. We got 20 keepers and threw back just as many. It's been probably 28 years since I went crabbing at Beaver Dam...Very good spot. Here's a pic...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They were averaging @6.5 inches...There were two that were much bigger....may be 7.5 . I'm still trying to dry out.. :D

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Volkman,

Good job on the crabs. Don't feel bad about getting wet. I was out today that got wet. Worst part is I wasn't crabbing or fishing. I was helping Misconduct move his boat to a new slip in West Wildwood.

I think there might be a blue claw or 2 in those back waters? And you better follow Biggestjack's advice. He is a very wise man. In fact I just might follow his advise about a shot of rum now.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know Jack is very wise, but I had a bad experience with the 151..... ;) :D
I think I might have to stick with the Dewars and water...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mmmmm 151...I used to drink that straight out of the bottle when I was a little less then legal...Just gotta pop off that little wire screen and Mmmmm.

Boatbuilder_g doesn't encourage underage drinking...but if your going to drink then put down the Coor's light!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Volk,

Glad you and Brandon had a good day, wish you guys could have made it down to my place. I was just a liitle worried about the weather, I think you made the right call initially.

Another thing is I didn't want Brandon wading around with the tide PUMPING the way it was, it was a little scary for us lightweights. :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good eats there Volkanman.
I hope to get down to Beaver Damn soon.
I used to go all the time. But, I haven't been there in years. What are their hours? I didn't know they towed out that late. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CousinRichie -They close at 3pm. The guy who owns it said that they usually tow back as close to 3 as they can. I'm not sure what time they open, but there were people out next to us who were out at 7am and had over a half bushel. I also saw an Eagle flying by with an eel in its mouth. The owner said there are two nests in the area.

Steve- I wish we could've made it....I was thinking the same thing with Brandon. I know he would've toughed it out....that kid has committment...Just like another little guy I know.. ;) :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts